Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Do You Think The Gov't. And The Medical Profession Are Pulling The Plug On Grandma?

Insurance & Special Deals for Seniors

Do You Think The Gov't. And The Medical Profession Are Pulling The Plug On Grandma?

Postby hezron67 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:10 pm

I just heard of another case where medical treatment is being denied to a senior citizen.
My Brother in Law's brother has leukemia.
He said the doctors told him he could not have a bone marrow transplant to fight the disease because he is too old.
He's 69.
My doctor told me that if I were a little older they would not treat me for prostate cancer, I'm 64.
Are they trying to get rid of us to save on Social Security and Medicare? What do you think? I have heard other disturbing tales where the old and disabled are not receiving adequate care.
Is this what we worked so hard all of our lives for? To be treated like this?
hezron67

Postby nuri » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:38 pm

The plug has always been pulled on grandma.

No medical system, whether publicly or privately funded, can afford to provide unlimited care for everyone. The natural place to draw the line, in most cases, is with the elderly, whose life expectancy is short, whose suitability for many procedures is limited, and who typically consume--or want to consume--enormously greater amounts of health care resources than people in all other age groups.

I don't like this any more than anyone else does, but I would have to say that it is an undeniable fact. I think the best thing we can all do to provide more medical resources for the elderly and for all people is to demand that the government act with more fiscal responsibility in general. Which means: Stop the pointless wars in the Middle East, resume taxing the rich at the same levels they were taxed back in the days of Eisenhower and Kennedy, and cut back on the Cadillac benefits currently provided to the Bureaucratic Class.
nuri

Postby Erl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:41 pm

From what I see,really old people can get as much care as possible as long as they have the right insurance and can keep paying the doctors and the hospitals. My sister has end stage Alzheimer's and the family has gone into debt keeping her alive in a very nice facility. I love my sister with all of my heart but she has been unable to sit up,eat by herself or take care of any of her bodily functions. My brother-in-law goes to see her every day. I appreciate his love,but I have an advanced directive stating there is to be no extreme measures taken at the end of my life. I was a psychiatric nurse for 30 years and was appalled when a 90 year old patient would come in and received ECT. You dont want to know how much that cost 7 years ago. I know they still do the same thing today. I've also heard doctors say "They're running out of insurance. I'll be discharging this patient soon."
Erl

Postby Devisser » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 am

Yes I believe so. I work with a 79-year old American Veteran who was deliberately exposed to radiation fallout from an atomic bomb test (he was positioned one and a half miles from the blast) and it is like pulling teeth to get an appointment at the VA medical center, then they will cancel & reschedule his appointment, he has to pay a co-payment for his visit and the medication...which they require him to fill at the VA Center, cheaper to buy at Wal-mart without insurance.
I'm sure we will hear and see many more examples of refusal to treat Seniors in the coming years.

And by the way Tom, I know someone in the early 90's who lived here in Oklahoma & visited a Native American medicine woman in Arizona and was treated for prostate cancer using herbs & got cured of it rather than use the VA Hospital and have surgery. Might be something for Seniors to consider if they can't get treatment using Medicare.
Devisser

Postby Foluke » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:08 am

I don't know about the government and the medical profession pulling the plug but my father-in-law was just told by his doctor that he, the doctor, cannot do anything more for what ails my father-in-law who is having blood infusion weekly.
I suppose the government and the medical profession are saying why keep spending the money and effort if what ails a person is untreatable.
Foluke

Postby Goldwin » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Money talks. I know a local guy who just donated $20 million to a world-famous medical facility in the next state and it just so happens he just found out he had cancer a week before that. Nothing like buying yourself a standing appointment for whichever treatment you'll need. The wealthy shouldn't be able to have access to additional years while someone else is left sitting in the waiting room to die.
Goldwin

Postby Arrio » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:09 pm

It's absolutely happening.
The cost of medications is prohibitive.
One alternative I'm looking into is the use of homeopathics.
i remember that during WW II, people resorted to homemade remedies because they couldn't get any medicines.
Of course, they didn't have some we have today.
I firmly believe in preventive measures.
Eat healthy foods and exercise, drink lots of water, and get enough sleep.
Those won't cure catastrophic conditions, but they might prevent a person from falling so ill he couldn't recover.
Arrio

Postby Klint » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:31 am

I sometimes wonder that myself and I'm on 56..I was the first to arrive at the ER a couple of weeks ago for the pains I was having and I waited 4 hours in the waiting room while everybody else was going and here I was in pain so then 3 hours later they did a cat scan and 1 hour after that they said they couldn't find anything....so I feel so useless going to the doctors anymore..I'll just stuffer in my own miseries..=)
Klint

Postby Lonato » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:46 pm

It is scary isn't it. I am 55 and already feeling the effects of age discrimination. If what you are saying is true, I am not surprised. I was raised to respect and honor our elders. Apparently, that is no longer the case. A real shame too. I learned so much from my elders and I am so grateful for it.
Lonato

Postby brik » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Yes, this is being done with more frequency as money "matters." No longer can we trust the oath, "Do No Harm" in which our doctors take. In the past, some doctors and hospitals helped patients to fight for their last days to be fairly good ones. Now, they throw hands up as "we" have become more of a financial burden to them. If you have enough money, they will go the extra mile with these senior patients as they are certain of the monies they will earn and collect with ease. It is coming down to a have and have not society with the middle class being destroyed in this country. In as much, guess who will survive?

I am looking at surgery this week which will last up to seven hours. I have been very careful to seek out two surgeons who do take their oaths serious, at this time. Both, are Christians which is important to me and both have families with older living relatives. I have done my part, the best I could and now, I am going to place this all in the hands of God! I feel much safer in His healing system than in the current medical system which is dominated by the love of money!
brik

Next

Return to Seniors Insurance