Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

If you can't afford health insurance for your family and the government says you make too much...?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

If you can't afford health insurance for your family and the government says you make too much...?

Postby erich » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:50 am

We had a similar problem a couple years ago after my husband got laid off. He got work again but was only making a little over minimum wage and then I had to have some medical things done and couldn't afford it. We applied for medicaid and while our children were eligible we made $50 a month too much to qualify for coverage as adults. We had to pay everything out of pocket and by setting up payment arrangements.

Have you tried these websites?
http://www.healthinsurance.org/
http://www.gohealthinsurance.com/

They do insurance quotes, I can't promise you'll find something that will work for you, but it's worth looking into.
erich

Postby ferrell » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:51 am

In my state you have to have insurance. Which is pretty unfair if you do not make much. if your employeer offers it you HAVE to take it otherwise you will be fined. So, i have a coworker making 52k and he gets assistance in paying his health ins.

I think the best thing is to talk with which ever MD you have seen and see what they suggest, if you like the MD most of the time they will work with you on payments. You want to talk with either the MD himself or the office manager. preferably the MD himself/herself.

Otherwise for little illnesses there are the CVS minute clinics and those are good for cost.

its a tricky questions and the answers can really be what anyone would want. Its ridiculous with a 300 difference they wont help at all.
ferrell

Postby watford » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:59 am

Our family income this year will be right at $45000 and we pay $700/month in health insurance premiums. The only reason why we are able to do this is because our mortgage is half as much as our health insurance premium. Better yet: Since we stayed put in our small starter home, it will be paid off in a little over 2 years. We also pay cash for our vehicles and have no credit card debts or other installment loan debts.
That's the only way you'd be able to afford to pay for health insurance. For most people in the US having a mortgage of less than $400 is unattainable. They wouldn't even be able to rent a 1-bedroom studio apartment for that amount... They are in the same position your family is in: Health insurance is unaffordable.

I am from Germany where having health insurance is mandatory. The health insurance premiums are based on your income. If we lived in Germany, we would pay a lot less for health insurance while having a lot better coverage. My husband doesn't want to move back, though...
watford

Postby cochlain » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:06 am

The American Health Greed System says : You need to make more sacrifices in your family's life so the Insurance and Health Greed Industries can get the $800.00 a month they have made almost mandatory for you pay.

Cut out a meal a day. Do with half the amount of clothing. If you have $1200.00 mortgage sell your house and rent for $800.00 a month. That will free up $400.00. Mom should go to work as well so that her income can be funneled into the capitalist Child "Care" Industry and she can help create a couple of jobs.

No more family vacations. If your husband gets a paid vacation from his main job...he should work those 2 weeks mowing lawns or something to make extra money for the Health Greed Industry.

Start selling off your possessions...you don't really need them and what good are they if you are sick and weak because you cannot afford a visit to the doctor? Yes when you have paid 1/3 of your income to stay healthy you will be bored out of your mind but that is the sacrifice you have to make to live in Capitalist Amerika!!!

Seriously...do what I do. Say to hell with personal responsibility, this is a basic human right that is being stolen from us and handed back with a massive price tag on it, get what you can get, pay what you WANT to pay, do what you have to do to cover those costs WITHOUT having to make much of a sacrifice in the quality of life you work so hard to provide for your family.

Before my wife went to work and got us insurance...I took my family to Catholic/Christian run charity hospitals. If you cannot get them to write the bill off or give you financial assistance to clear the bill...then just set up a payment plan. Most times you can tell them how much you can afford and then you just pay $5.00 a month. You'll be dead before you pay off a $5000.00 bill.

The American Health Greed System is deliberately trying to screw me...that makes it fine for me to look for ways to screw them right back if legally possible.

It is still illegal for any hospital/er to deny care...so you don't worry about cost, you just take care of your family first and worry about payment later. In a way we are lucky on that point.

I have a feeling when my kids are 40 years old they will need to tattoo their Insurance ID number on their forehead...no Insurance ID = no health care, you just die.
cochlain

Postby samson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:12 am

I thought no one can be turned down for CHIP. You may not qualify for the free program but there are very low cost plans available. From the chart I am looking at, you would pay $43/child making $48,000/year. But I don't know how many kids you have and what state you are in so it may be different.

I do think kids not having health insurance is unacceptable but I don't put that blame on the parents. Not everything is black and white, and there needs to be a program to cover the kids in the gray area.
samson

Postby rudi » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:18 am

I thought no one can be turned down for CHIP. You may not qualify for the free program but there are very low cost plans available. From the chart I am looking at, you would pay $43/child making $48,000/year. But I don't know how many kids you have and what state you are in so it may be different.

I do think kids not having health insurance is unacceptable but I don't put that blame on the parents. Not everything is black and white, and there needs to be a program to cover the kids in the gray area.
What state do you live in? If you lived in PA you'd have low cost coverage http://www.chipcoverspakids.com/assets/media/pdf/income_chart.pdf

If I couldn't afford out of pocket health care, and I didn't qualify for medicaid, I would avoid getting pregnant like the plague, that's for sure.

*Also, have you looked at moving to an area/ a state with lower cost of living, or different CHIP guidelines? Is there anything your husband can do to earn a promotion? Can you work from home? Have you truly turned every stone?

*I didn't say it was a simple solution, but don't pretend that you truly can't get health coverage no matter what you do. How many children do you have? I checked your profile. You'll soon be a family of 5 (do they count your 3rd before or after birth?) and then you qualify based on income.

*A 5 person household qualifies for CHIP at $52,000 pre-tax.

*What is your husband doing to earn a promotion, and what are you doing to earn money as well? Do you buy second hand clothes and toys?

*$48,000 is the max he can earn? Why doesn't he go into a new industry then? Why not move to another state?

*To be quite frank, IDGAF that money isn't everything to you. What I do care about- is when you take your uninsured kids to the ER and try to pay off the balance at $20 a month. You won't ever pay the bill in full, and the hospital will have to eat the cost of the services they provided you, less the measly amount you paid. You will have then passed along the bill to everybody else. The hospital raises the cost of services to cover losses from people like you, so the insurance companies have to charge more because they have to pay more to the hospitals. In turn, I pay more for MY health insurance because you don't feel that health insurance for your family is a priority.

Instead of pretending that health insurance is unattainable for your family, admit that it isn't a priority to you at all and you are okay with everybody else paying higher rates for their own services so you can sit at home.
rudi

Previous

Return to Health & Medical Insurance