Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Renters Insurance for College Students

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

I wrecked my friends car who expects my insurance to cover it?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby galvyn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 pm

theres many circumstances.
So she asked me to drive and I did. My insurance and her insurance have both had many wrecks on them from family members, etc. I am on probation so we didnt call the police. I believe sinces its her car and with her permission to drive it that it would be out of her pocket not mine even though I have already taken car of the other cars involved in the wreck. How do I prove she needs to pay for it and not me. I make $8/hr at a minimum wage job and i am only 17. what do i need to do because she came screaming to me today wanting money that me and my parents dont have.
galvyn

Postby anoki » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:56 pm

If you're in North America (not sure about other continents), you tell her to go to hell.

It's her car, therefore it's her responsibility. The owner of a car is the one responsible for any damage that car does, end of debate. You'd be responsible if you were driving without permission or using the vehicle to commit a crime, but in all other cases it's the owner's problem.

Your insurance won't cover her car, only her insurance will. She can argue with you until she's blue in the face, but her opinion doesn't change how the law works. Don't prove anything to her, tell her she has to prove why you and your insurance company should cover her vehicle. Tell her to go get a lawyer if she wants, but remind her that you won't pay her legal bills either.
anoki

Postby dougald » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:10 pm

By law, Her insurance would be "prime" and cover the damages. If her company won't cover or won't cover everything and if you have your own car insurance, then your insurance would be "secondary" and should cover (if you have the proper coverages). . If you and her want to pay out of pocket (foolish) then you and her will have to come to an agreement.

Something that everyone should know is that when you loan your car you are also loaning your insurance,.
dougald

Postby nik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Your insurance won't cover it. Your insurance covers your car. Her insurance covers her car. She gave you permission to drive her car, so she accepted the risk.
nik

Postby megedagik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm

She can want all she wants but her insurance covers her car, your insurance covers your car. Her insurance gets to pay making no difference if she likes it or not.
megedagik

Postby uli39 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 pm

It is your responsibility to fix her car if you were driving it and were in an accident. Plus, if damage is over a certain amount, not reporting it to the police is also a crime. She gave you permission to drive her car, not to wreck it and you are the one responsible to repair it. Her insurance company will not pay for your damages, or they will and then they will sue your parents ( or you when you turn 18) for the funds if you turn 18 before it is all resolved. Plus, you are responsible to repair whatever the auto collided wit as well.

Sorry, I am sure this is not what you want to hear, but it is the truth.

And Scott H, I am sorry but their insurance will pay for it as they were driving and caused the damage, it is like when you rent a car and use your own insurance instead of the over-priced car rental insurance.
uli39

Return to Car Insurance