Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Would It Be Weird For A 25 Year Old To Go To A Funeral Home And Talk To Them What The Cost Of A Funeral?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Would It Be Weird For A 25 Year Old To Go To A Funeral Home And Talk To Them What The Cost Of A Funeral?

Postby montague » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:21 pm

is and possibly see about setting up a prepayment plan? I ask as I lost my mom 11 months ago and due to her not having any life insurance or anything set up, all we could afford is for her to be directly cremated, there was no showing of her body or services of any kind. I really don't want that to happen if I pass away. I want a funeral and services if I can.

Or would get temp (30 year) life insurance be a better way to save for a funeral. If I was to get a life insurance policy, I would probably get it for $25,000 that way I have a much better chance to being able to get a funeral.

Also, is there a form or something I need to do where I can write my wishes on how I want things to happen when it comes to the funeral/services. As I'm afraid if I don't have something that states my wish, than my family is just going to do the direct cremation like what happen with my mom.
montague

Postby Marylu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:51 pm

yes and it will sound like you're suicidal
Marylu

Postby KyraSedgwick » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:21 am

Wouldn't be weird at all.
In fact, it happens more than you would think.
Most of the time, pre-planned / pre-funded funerals are done by people in their 50's or 60's, but young people do come in.

Payment plans also aren't unheard of for funerals either, so don't worry about that.
Life insurance is probably your best bet though - it's cheaper for you and easier for the funeral home to deal with.

You ask about a form you would need to complete to explain your wishes on what you want to happen.
The answer is yes, and your chosen funeral director can walk you through that.
If you go this route, I would highly suggest that you make out a Last Will and Testament and include the name and address of your chosen funeral home plus instructions that your funeral wishes are already planned.
This way, there wouldn't be a question about what to do with your body.

As for explaining your situation to a funeral director, you can if you want to.
You don't have to explain at all if you don't want.
We see death every single day, and know that if you are coming to us, you have your reasons that are obviously emotional.
We don't intrude on that - if you want to keep things personal, you can.
KyraSedgwick

Postby Zephan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:46 pm

If your young and heAlthy go with life insurance and do it for more the. 25000 itll be dirt cheap do like a half a mil or something
Zephan

Postby Zev » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:31 am

It is not weird, it is wise.

Personally IMHO it would be wise to set up a prepayment plan, or do both. If you went to the chosen funeral home, they can help you with all of the things you are asking and they won't think you are weird.

My friend's relatives years ago bought a big section in a cemetery and set it aside for all future generations. She just buried her husband there and was really grateful for their wise investment over 100 years ago. It just shows you there are lots of options you can choose from.
Zev

Return to Life Insurance