Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Will money paid toward individual health insurance plan carry over if i switch to family plan mid-year?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Will money paid toward individual health insurance plan carry over if i switch to family plan mid-year?

Postby nate » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:10 pm

I currently have an individual health insurance plan through my employer with a $1500 out of pocket maximum. I am pregnant and will likely use up this amount through labor and deliver costs. After the baby is born, I will be adding him to my plan, which will translate to a family plan with a $4000 out of pocket maximum. My question is, will the $1500 I've already paid carry over toward the $4000 (meaning I will be responsible for the additional $2500) or will it start over (meaning I am responsible for the full $4000). I have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO (Kentucky).
nate

Postby nosh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:17 pm

The first thing you should do is see if now you are pregnant if you have to transfer straight to a family plan. Some insurers require you to have family cover in place to cover the expenses related to pregnancy.
nosh

Postby arwood » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes, it will - when you add a person to your policy, the $1500 out of pocket will then apply to him as well. You will have maxed out your deductible, and you'll be starting on baby's.
arwood

Return to Health & Medical Insurance