Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Will It Affect Our Ss If I Get A Job As A Teen With One Parent On Disability?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

Postby Rosswald » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:20 am

I'm fixing to turn 16 and plan on applying for jobs next summer. We are getting social security for one disabled parents and the other can find the occasional job, but would it hurt our benefits much if I were hired for a part time job? I'm talking medical benefits, insurance, food stamps etc. Please don't answer if you're not well informed in this type of thing.
Rosswald

Postby Bain » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:24 am

Would probably need a bit more info - but I'll try to help.
Your income as a pt working student would probably be very low, but it must be reported as part of the household income for certain benefits such as medicaid and/or food stamps.
It should not effect anyone receiving social security disability as their amount is set based upon their work history.
If the adults are on medicare - this would not be effected, if you are on medicaid it could - but a low amount probably would not - ask your case worker if you are concerned. As to food stamps - the amount your household receives is based upon number of individuals living there and Total income - which would include yours.
You can find amount charts on most state dss web sites and see where it would put your level.
You really don't need to tell people on YA how much money is coming into your home to figure this out for you.
You can do that, or again check with a case worker. Remember, in most states changes that could effect your benefits must be reported to dss within 10 days of the change.

You are becoming a young adult and job experience and education are very important to your future so you need to consider the total package.

Good luck to you and your family.
Bain

Postby Doggie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Great Question and I will try to help. I have a BS in Accounting and have been preparing US Individual Income Taxes since 1981.

Because of your brief question I will break it down as best I can:

I do not know WHERE you have access to the internet, I assume it is at your HOME.

Here is the website for Social Security Administration; What You Can Do Online:

http://www.ssa.gov/onlineservices/

This is a very complex issue and I commend you for your proactive thinking.

Ask your Parent(s) to CALL the SSA ANONYMOUSLY; and Do NOT give out personal information; just say you have a General Question: Have a parent Ask your question and write down the Day, Date, Time you called, and the Name / Badge Number of the person you reached

at Social Security. This is CRITICAL.

Keep an actual notebook for your parents to write down the answer. You do NOT want your Parents to GO to the Social Security Office because NOTHING has happened yet; "I'm fixing to turn 16 and plan on applying for jobs NEXT SUMMER".

You are very wise in trying to solve a problem before it becomes one.

Overall, I do not think your Parents' benefits will be harmed but why take the chance? I do not know where you live but here is some infomation: http://www.ssa.gov

General Information and Services, 7 am - 7 pm: 800. 772. 1213; 24 hour Automated Services National TTY Only; same hours; 800. 325. 0778.

Only after receiving the correct Social Security Administration answers can you consider the IRS Federal Income Tax implications. Why? I do not know your living situation, SSA Income Received, Other Dependents, Other Income, etc.

I know that this is not the best information that you wanted to hear, but you need to start gathering the correct information FIRST. Only then, can you make an Informed Decision of what you and your parents are going to do. Thanks for your question. Jim
Doggie

Return to Disability Insurance