Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: 13 Ways to Lower the Cost of Health Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Why do we need Obamacare when the poor have Medicaid?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby gofraidh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 am

Isn't medicaid basically free health care for the poor? What's the purpose of Obamacare if the poor are covered under Medicaid?

Second, why don't we just expand medicare so people can buy cheap health care? Obamacare does nothing to drive prices down, and is a huge burden to the middle class people who already have health insurance,

Third, I know Obamacare is trying to stop freeloading, but shouldn't we just let people die if they refuse to get healthcare, especially those Americans who can afford health care. And shouldn't these people have the government healthcare option, which the quality wouldn't be as great, but it would be cheaper.
gofraidh

Postby nosh » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:55 am

Well take my own case for example. I'm self employed in my own little one-man business. Up to a couple of years ago I shared my wife's insurance from her work, but then she got breast cancer and had to go on disability. She gets Medicaid because she's 'disabled', and I went off to find my own insurance.

I got offers from the 4 or 5 companies that sell health insurance in California, and they were all about the same. It's $750/month, just for me. I could afford that (it would be a hardship), BUT that $750 a month also has a $4500 yearly deductible, so I end up paying for whatever health care I actually get. And if I get 'lucky' and have a heart attack or cancer and pass the deductible amount, they pay HALF.

So I remain uninsured. I'm not poor enough for Medicaid, not rich enough for insurance.

I was really counting on the Public Option but the Republicans killed it. There was no real reason to kill it. It would have been paid for entirely by the customers, not cost taxpayers anything. If it worked, if it was cheaper or better than commercial insurance, commercial insurance would have come down or people would leave. If it was worse, it would have died a quiet death as people just left the system. But we'll never know, now will we?

As it is, I will have to wait for Medicare. If I have a heart attack or cancer or a car accident between now and 65, I'll have to declare bankruptcy and the American People will pay my medical bills. (After I lose my IRA).

We don't just let people die, that's the thing. Republicans think poor people who get sick should just go curl up and die somewhere. But we are a civilized country, nobody bleeds to death on the steps of the ER. They HAVE to treat you, to an extent, whether you can pay or not. The hospital makes it up by charging insured patients more. Ever wonder why a tylenol in the hospital costs $25?
nosh

Postby cyneric » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:56 am

Medicaid was intended for the poor. the qualifications have changed over time to include more people. the new ACA will expand Medicaid to even more people.

Expanding Medicare will be one step closer to govt run healthcare. MCR does not pay hospitals the cost of care. that would close hospitals left and right.

most people(even if they buy insurance) that currently dont have health insurance will still not get checkups and end up in the ER. the theory that more coverage will slow down the ER is a joke(see MA ER volumes)
cyneric

Postby tassa » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 am

At the moment, only poor children and disabled people qualify for Medicaid.

The only "government healthcare option" in Obamacare is expansion of Medicaid to all the poor.

Under Obamacare the vast majority of the middle class that is not currently insured will qualify for subsidies which will pay for most (about 95%) of the cost of purchasing health insurance through a private company.
tassa

Postby aisley » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:07 am

Because the medical companies need another scam. Obamacare makes sure that the medical companies now have another 30 million people to overcharge for medical services they don't need. I believe in government funded healthcare but trust me... Obamacare isn't going to truly work for at least 10 years. In the beginning this is going to hurt BAD
aisley

Postby otto » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:27 am

The healthcare reform act is not about just eliminating "free-loaders." Not all middle class people have health insurance. Big Insurance is too expensive for many to afford. most of the people who complain about the healthcare reform act have health insurance paid for by their employer. And they begrudge others. How small.
otto

Postby haslet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:39 am

Medicaid does not cover singles or the childless who are poor.

I would be for Medicare for all.

A moral country would never make the decision to let people die if those deaths were avoidable. Medicare would remove the question about those who can afford insurance/health-care.

Those on Medicare do pay a premium, however, It isn't free. We'd still need to come up with a way to fund it for the indigent.
haslet

Postby merry » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:47 am

Not all poor have medicaid. In fact many don't qualify for it even though their practically homeless. You have to have kids, be disabled, or elderly to qualify now days.
merry

Postby caddarik23 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:49 am

Making minimum wage I make to much to qualify for medicaid but not enough to afford cost of living!
caddarik23

Postby goddard » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:59 am

Simple fact is republicans have lied and distorted this issue to keep ignorant of the real facts.
goddard

Next

Return to Health & Medical Insurance