Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Renters Insurance for College Students

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Why have Republicans always fought against the social programs that make America great?

Unemployment Insurance and Employment Discussion

Why have Republicans always fought against the social programs that make America great?

Postby bwich » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:36 pm

FDR had the New Deal, Truman had the Fair Deal and LBJ had the Great Society.

We got Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, SSDI, Food Stamps, Unemployment Insurance and Section 8 housing.

You can thank Democrats for these programs which help ALL Americans, not just the 1%. Republicans fought against all of this.
bwich

Postby conall11 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm

You have an odd definition of "help". You are selling your Liberty far too cheaply. These programs do not eliminate poverty, which is more prevalent now than when were they started. They merely subsidize it.

I don't hesitate to give Democrats full credit for those programs, which is also why I'll never vote for them.
conall11

Postby davidbowie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:46 pm

What's with the Mao photograph on your avatar?

Are you actually a GOP or libertarian troll?

In any case, your question isn't completely accurate. A little historical research will show that most of the original "Progressives" were upper class, good-government, reform-minded Republicans -- at least back in the 1890s, when the Progressive Movement began.

You're obviously correct about Democrats championing many of the social welfare / social safety net programs of the past 80 years.

But before the Democratic president Franklin Roosevelt campioned social and economic reform in the 1930s, his distant cousin Teddy Roosevelt, a maverick Republican, also worked for government social programs and improved regulation of the giant corporations during his presidency from 1901 - 1909.

Other important Republican "progressives" during the first few decades of the 20th century included Sen. Robert La Follette of Wisconsin and Sen. George Norris of Nebraska. Still another early Republican Progressive was Sen. Hiram Johnson of California.

So historically, Republicans have SOMETIMES been on the side of reforms that helped the common people.

Since the 1930s and FDR's inauguration of the New Deal, however, most Republicans have come into the orbit of the super-rich, and since Lyndon Johnson's splitting of the once "Solid Democratic South" through the enactment of important civil rights laws, the Republican Party in the South has gone from being the party of racial justice and African American rights to being a largely racist institution.

So you're correct about today's GOP being a force for economic elitism and racial bigotry, for the most part. Yet it's important to remember that historically, Republicans sometimes have taken very different positions on these issues.
davidbowie

Postby anoki » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:56 pm

That's funny. How about desegregation of the schools and the 1964 Civil Rights Act? Eisenhower used Federal troops to desegregate the southern schools. The need for force? Well, the Democratic governors in what used to be called the Solid South by the Dem Party, were opposing it. People like George Wallace, who once ran 3rd on the National Dem ticket, Orval Faubus and Lester Maddox, all Dem govs who had to be forced to allow black students equal education. That was not that many years ago. When the Sen Everett Dirksen sponsored the 1964 Civil Rights act, that would allow voting by blacks, the Dem President, LBJ threatened to veto it at the request of the Solid South Democrats in the Senate. When JFK ran for President he turned down the idea of a national Civil Rights act because he needed the Dem voters in the south to be elected thereby becoming a person who delayed justice for his own election. He was a 1% you know.
And Harry Truman used Federal troops to break strikes while he was in office and FDR let Pearl Harbor be bombed to convince us to go to war in Europe. It is true that LBJ created the Welfare State which has resulted in less than 50% of the people in the country paying any kind of taxes and the destruction of the family unit and the birth of the drug culture. You might also find it interesting that of the 1% that you seem to think are Republicans, the majority of the 1% are limo liberal Dems and celebrities.
anoki

Postby davidbowie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Wow, how does paying people not to work make us great? Also, have you looked at the first four programs? They are broke and by the end of the decade Medicare/Medicaid alone is going to a trillion dollar a year hit to the budget. How are we going to pay for this? Especially since the Democrats have cut the payroll taxes that pay for this?

Also, have you been paying attention to what is currently going on in Europe? Canada and Germany have taken steps to prevent similar meltdowns like in Greece.

Then again, you don't have a clue like most Democrats.
davidbowie

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:17 pm

LBJ took us from 14% poverty to 14% poverty. costing billions.
FDR, following almost directly behind Coolidge who pulled off a miracle, gave us the new deal which did nothing to the point where 400k Americans went off to die and the industrialized world was destroyed. Truman I don't know as much about.

Some are not worthy of freedom. When that becomes us. The situation will correct itself. Social programs destroyed the black community, drove out the fathers and turned the children into beggers and. Is this one of those you praise?
bruce

Postby baldwinn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Why do you dump Social Security in as a social program when most have paid for what they get back but the darn Liberal Government spends it on other things.
That is why it does need to be personalized because right now it is a big Ponzi scheme.
We can thank Democrats for putting more and more on the government dole rather than having them work.
baldwinn

Postby chavatangakwunua » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:43 pm

So what your saying is the Democrats are responsible for the Slavery State we have now?
Personally I would rather Earn the Money live where I want, instead of where I was told to. Buy what Food I want instead of what I'm allowed. Have the Medical Coverage I want instead of what some Government Bureaucrat dictates I should be happy with.

Yes, I thank the Dem's for Modern Day Slavery.
chavatangakwunua

Postby rameez » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Social programs did not get America where it is today. In fact if there are too many social programs it will drag America down. Where do you think the money for them comes from? Directly from the economy. The claim that draining the economy of money is similar to physicians in the middle ages claiming leeches can cure an illness.
rameez

Postby vontell5 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:56 pm

You have a gross conceptual error. America is great because government had the good sense to get out of the people's way. Compare China and the USA over the past 250 years and get back to me.

Just as a side note, 92% of the 1% earned it in their lifetime. America really is the land of opportunity.
vontell5

Next

Return to Unemployment Insurance