Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Why Does My Dog Make My Homeowners Policy Go Up !!!?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby bainbridge76 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:23 am

Ok ... a bit of a rant ... you people are the only ones who can relate !

Do i get a discount for the protection he provides me, my family, and the house ... noooooooooo .... but they want to raise my rate because he "could" bite someone someday ...

{end rant}
bainbridge76

Postby yoel90 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:42 am

I would recommend you to try this web page where you can compare quotes from the best companies: http://QUOTES-FOR-INSURANCE.NET/index.ht...

RE :Why does my dog make my homeowners policy go up !!!?

Do i get a discount for the protection he provides me, my family, and the house ... noooooooooo .... but they want to raise my rate because he "could" bite someone someday ...

{end rant}

Update: Sorry ... I own a Shepard mix

3 following 22 answers
yoel90

Postby Adejola » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Just find a different insurance company that doesn't rate their policies on that.
I work in a State Farm office.
We only ask two questions on our home-owner's applications - #1 - Has the dog has been trained for attack purposes? & #2 - Has the dog ever bit anyone? We do not judge dogs by the breed --- only by the deed it does.
Adejola

Postby Warley » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:55 pm

At - INSURECOMPARECAR.INFO- you can compare free quotes

RE Why does my dog make my homeowners policy go up !!!?

{end rant}
Warley

Postby Keiran » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:27 pm

I know certain breeds like Pits Bulls, Akita, Rottweilers, Chow Chows make home owners go up. I actually lost my origanl insurance when I took in my brothers Pit Bull when my brother past away. Then I had to find a new one pay high rates etc. I know a family friend who lied about their breed to keep their rates low. But if there is ever an issue they are in trouble. I have Labs and they would keep home owners like everyone else but when I inherited my brothers dog that is when I got issues. I did more than rant. The sad part is that is some jerk broke into your house and your dog bit them, that low life criminal can file a lawsuit and 9 out of ten times they win. That is a well documented scenario. Now that should be more than something to go crazy over.
Keiran

Postby kim43 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Just for that reason.
The insurance company thinks that your dog may be a liability to them.
In other words, if your dog were to bite someone, in your home, they would be sued and it would cost them big, big bucks.
More than likely they have targeted you because of the breed or type of dog you have.
I had friends that moved to Florida a few hears ago, that have Dobes.
They had a hard time finding a good insurance company, and when they did, the company canceled them two years later and they had to start their search all over again.
They pay a really high premium, now.
Sometimes what *we* think is to our benefit, really isn't because of laws and different policies.
kim43

Postby Ansleigh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:21 am

Yeah and so..... what breed do you own? If your rate went up I can only imagine, Rott, APBT or any breed listed in the top 10 ten of the DDL?

Well join the crowd, a lot of irresponsible dog owners not only gave our breeds bad raps, and made some dogs so human aggressive they bite people.
Well that did not just effect the family's of the bit victims.
When they chose to train them to dig into someones @ss and take a bite, that irresponsible owner trained the insurance companies to dig into our @ss and take a bite out of our wallets!
Ansleigh

Postby Dax » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:44 am

Here's some info from the AKC.

Despite the fact that animal welfare and behavior experts all agree that there's no such thing as a bad breed, many insurers are adopting "blacklists" of dogs they refuse to cover.

The American Kennel Club believes that insurance companies should determine coverage of a dog-owning household based on the dog's deeds, not the dog's breed. If a dog is a well-behaved member of the household and the community, there is no reason to deny or cancel coverage. In fact, insurance companies should consider a dog an asset, a natural alarm system whose bark may deter intruders and prevent potential theft.

Below is some information AKC has compiled from insurance companies, industry associations, and media reports. If you're having trouble getting coverage, please see our Tips for Finding Homeowners' Insurance.

Insurer "Bad Breeds" Blacklist? Comments

Allstate Yes--pit bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, Chows, Presa Canarios, Akitas, wolf-hybrids, and Huskies. No new policies will be written for owners of these breeds.

AIG Yes--pit bulls, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers.

Axa Yes

Clarenden Yes

Farmers Insurance Group No Prospective policyholders are asked to report whether they have a "vicious animal" on the premises. Once there is a claim, the pet is specifically excluded from coverage. The company also won't take new business from people who have had dog-bite claims in the last three years, even if the family no longer owns the pet.

Liberty Mutual Yes--Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes, Chows, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, pit bulls or Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, Siberian Huskies, Presa Canarios. Mixed-breed dogs have to be verified by a veterinarian to not be predominantly any of these breeds before policy will be issued.

Mercury Casualty Company No Offers 10% discount for families that don't own a dog or are willing to take their dog off their policy.

Nationwide Yes--Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, pit bulls, Presa Canarios, Chows or wolf-hybrids.

Prudential No May vary from state to state.

Qualsure Insurance Corp. Yes--Akitas, Chows, Doberman Pinschers, pit bulls, Presa Canarios and Rottweilers.

State Farm No If there has been a bite history, the company will ask that the offending dog be removed from the home.

This list compiled in July 2002, is not comprehensive and is subject to change.
Dax

Postby Tiernay » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:36 am

yes, it's allowed. It has nothing to do with the size of the dog, but rather the breed. Certain homeowners policies will not insure homes with certain breeds of dogs; usually dogs like pit bulls, rottweilers, and dobermans.
Tiernay

Postby banbhan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:17 pm

I'd find another one, even if it is a little more (even after the other's price increase) For me it's the principle of it all. I believe State Farm and USAA are two companies that do not discriminate or charge a penalty for owning a certain breed. It's a different ball game if your dog has bitten someone and it's been reported.

But seriously, you should get a discount, they are one of the best deterrents and good company for you
banbhan

Return to Pet Insurance