Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Why Do Claims Adjusters Give You A List Of Contractors To Use When You File A Claim?

All discussions relating to Business Insurance and Business Finance

Why Do Claims Adjusters Give You A List Of Contractors To Use When You File A Claim?

Postby berkley » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Okay so here's the short story. Pipe burst inside the house, water everywhere. This happened on 3/06/13. My mother in law owns the house and she had to leave town on business the next day i got stuck handling things. She called and filed the claim the day she left. Why she didn't do it the day it happened I don't know but they sent a clean up crew out who was spectacular. the following tuesday is when the claims adjuster was actually able to make an appearance. Give us an estimate on the damage and said he was sending a cabinet company out to estimate the damages done to the cabinets. Cabinet company comes out and say "we are just going to restore your cabinets. We will replace all the damaged particle board that stock cabinets are made out of with wood. It will take 2 to 3 weeks to fix so you won't have a kitchen sink but you can request to have a sink hooked up for you." My wife and I live with my mother in law in this house right now. We have a three year old and and one year old. until we get the cabinets fixed we can'tput the flooring down in the kitchen and I estimate that it will be a while longer before we get flooring down anywhere else in the house because of how long the insurance company has taken with everything. So the cabinet situation just pissed me off a little when I was told that the were just going to be restored. They are stock cabinets that can be bought at lowes or home depot not oak or anything of real value. So would it be more logical to buy whole brand new stock cabinets or get these already crappy cabinets that have been in the house since it was built "restored" and have mixed matching cabinets in the kitchen because we were already told that it was going to cost extra to fix the top cabinets.
berkley

Postby Dany » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 pm

Okay so here's the short story. Pipe burst inside the house, water everywhere. This happened on 3/06/13. My mother in law owns the house and she had to leave town on business the next day i got stuck handling things. She called and filed the claim the day she left. Why she didn't do it the day it happened I don't know but they sent a clean up crew out who was spectacular. the following tuesday is when the claims adjuster was actually able to make an appearance. Give us an estimate on the damage and said he was sending a cabinet company out to estimate the damages done to the cabinets. Cabinet company comes out and say "we are just going to restore your cabinets. We will replace all the damaged particle board that stock cabinets are made out of with wood. It will take 2 to 3 weeks to fix so you won't have a kitchen sink but you can request to have a sink hooked up for you." My wife and I live with my mother in law in this house right now. We have a three year old and and one year old. until we get the cabinets fixed we can'tput the flooring down in the kitchen and I estimate that it will be a while longer before we get flooring down anywhere else in the house because of how long the insurance company has taken with everything. So the cabinet situation just pissed me off a little when I was told that the were just going to be restored. They are stock cabinets that can be bought at lowes or home depot not oak or anything of real value. So would it be more logical to buy whole brand new stock cabinets or get these already crappy cabinets that have been in the house since it was built "restored" and have mixed matching cabinets in the kitchen because we were already told that it was going to cost extra to fix the top cabinets.
Dany

Postby Botulf » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Talk to your agent and find out what percentage of the repairs would they pay if you went "off list" and had the work done by a contractor of your choice. Obviously you will have to pay the difference. But if you want to have new material, you may have to front up some of the cost to get what you want.
Botulf

Return to Business Insurance