Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Why Are My Parents So Hesitant On Letting Me Buy Myself A Horse?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby MacKinley » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:26 pm

So, just to start off, I am not some whiny little kid that has no idea what they're considering. Yes, I am 13, but I have been riding for 8 years now, and I even train many of the green horses at my barn. And I am not asking how to convince my parents to buy me one, I'm asking why my parents are so hesitant on letting my buy MYSELF one.

I have a plan to were when I have gotten enough money, and a good enough paying job (well as good as I can get as a teenager), cracking open my savings account that I have set aside to buy a horse, and buying myself one. I live in Georgia, so I can legally get a job at 14. Now, don't start saying that there's more then just the horse I need to pay for. I know about the feed, the board, the tack, the vet bills, the ferrier, the chiropractor, the dentist, the insurance, the trailer, and the other gear I'll need.

I ride at a very high and experienced level, and I know all of these things. I've even sat down and had several serious conversations with my instructor about the costs, and gotten some *real* numbers when it comes to money. I've told my parents that I plan on paying for all of this myself, that I am ready to give up my therapist, girl scouts, and many other things for this so I will be able to afford it. I'm homeschooled, and am very focused on my grades, having skipped 2 grades. I'm already at the barn everyday, training a green horse named Bliss, and my school has not fallen behind.

I ride the schooling horses at my barn, but we have been getting a *lot* of new girls that are starting to show, and I am moving up a level this year. The horse I ride, Casi, is a very advanced horse, but also a very good teacher for beginners. I may have to start sharing him at the shows, and I am fine with that, but I am going to start doing MUCH more classes. So if I were to share with an 11 and under girl, he'd have to do all her classes, and then mine. I don't want to wear the poor boy out! I'd feel horrible if I was the cause of him being so tired or worn out. Therefore, I feel like it's time that I got my own horse because I'm at the level were most girls buy there own horse anyway. I feel like I need to buy one so I won't have to wear out any other schooling horses, so I will have a horse that will be ready for my classes when they come that won't already be tired when they start. I also want the younger girls to be able to experience what I was able to with the schooling horses, and how amazing it is to have your own horse for the WHOLE day.

I know that times are rough right now, but I'm confused as to why my parents are so against me buying my OWN horse for ME. I've already considered college, and I don't plan on doing anything outside of horses in my life right now, and I'm really considering Beary, which has a stable on campus. As do MANY other colleges.

So can someone please tell me why they won't let me buy my own horse in a nice way? I don't mean to sound stupid, if I do, I just really need someone to explain it to me in a way I can understand.

Thanks!
MacKinley

Postby Carny » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:16 am

You need more schooling in mathematics! There is no way on this earth unless you are earning thousands a year that you will be able to afford a horse! There are more bills that you have to pay for than just buying your horse.
There is hay, bedding, boarding, tack and replacement of tack, insurance, vet fees, feed, halters ..... etc and you are not going to be able to afford it.
It is a fact of life, you will not be able to do it.
You will end up going to your parents asking them to bail you out financially and perhaps they feel that they cannot afford it.

Stop nagging and perhaps after a few years they might consider it.
You are not the only one who cannot get Mummy and Daddy to buy a horse whenever you want it.
I am an adult and I cannot afford one.
I just have to accept that.
Consider yourself lucky that you are able to have access to horses at all.
I have no access.

And no horse however fit it is should be asked to do more than two classes in one day, so you would knacker your horse out if you were to do more.
Carny

Postby Kaleem » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 pm

So, just to start off, I am not some whiny little kid that has no idea what they're considering. Yes, I am 13, but I have been riding for 8 years now, and I even train many of the green horses at my barn. And I am not asking how to convince my parents to buy me one, I'm asking why my parents are so hesitant on letting my buy MYSELF one.

I have a plan to were when I have gotten enough money, and a good enough paying job (well as good as I can get as a teenager), cracking open my savings account that I have set aside to buy a horse, and buying myself one. I live in Georgia, so I can legally get a job at 14. Now, don't start saying that there's more then just the horse I need to pay for. I know about the feed, the board, the tack, the vet bills, the ferrier, the chiropractor, the dentist, the insurance, the trailer, and the other gear I'll need.

I ride at a very high and experienced level, and I know all of these things. I've even sat down and had several serious conversations with my instructor about the costs, and gotten some *real* numbers when it comes to money. I've told my parents that I plan on paying for all of this myself, that I am ready to give up my therapist, girl scouts, and many other things for this so I will be able to afford it. I'm homeschooled, and am very focused on my grades, having skipped 2 grades. I'm already at the barn everyday, training a green horse named Bliss, and my school has not fallen behind.

I ride the schooling horses at my barn, but we have been getting a *lot* of new girls that are starting to show, and I am moving up a level this year. The horse I ride, Casi, is a very advanced horse, but also a very good teacher for beginners. I may have to start sharing him at the shows, and I am fine with that, but I am going to start doing MUCH more classes. So if I were to share with an 11 and under girl, he'd have to do all her classes, and then mine. I don't want to wear the poor boy out! I'd feel horrible if I was the cause of him being so tired or worn out. Therefore, I feel like it's time that I got my own horse because I'm at the level were most girls buy there own horse anyway. I feel like I need to buy one so I won't have to wear out any other schooling horses, so I will have a horse that will be ready for my classes when they come that won't already be tired when they start. I also want the younger girls to be able to experience what I was able to with the schooling horses, and how amazing it is to have your own horse for the WHOLE day.

I know that times are rough right now, but I'm confused as to why my parents are so against me buying my OWN horse for ME. I've already considered college, and I don't plan on doing anything outside of horses in my life right now, and I'm really considering Beary, which has a stable on campus. As do MANY other colleges.

So can someone please tell me why they won't let me buy my own horse in a nice way? I don't mean to sound stupid, if I do, I just really need someone to explain it to me in a way I can understand.

Thanks!
Kaleem

Postby Jem » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:57 pm

It sounds like you're really into riding and know how responsible you need to be, so that's not the problem. You also sound mature enough. But you probably aren't seeing college or your life after in the same way that people who are 18 see it.
You said that you weren't planning on doing anything else in your life right now, but you're only 13 and I think only the tiniest fraction of people stick to the career they wanted at that age. I can guarantee you'll change your mind about something you're sure of before you're 18 that might have an impact on this decision, even if it's not necessarily about horses. I wanted to be a vet at your age, and then a radiologist in high school, and now I'm majoring in International Studies in college. And I'm still constantly changing my mind about what I want to do! You should choose a college based on your future, not whether or not it has a stable. Also, I know it might seem insane but a lot of girls who have been riding their entire lives lose a bit of interest around 16 or 17 and choose boys over horses. Maybe your parents are thinking about that, and they might be worrying about what happens if you can't pay for something despite your job. An injury that takes a year to recover could get really expensive. Then it'll fall to them to handle the money. I'm not saying that I think you shouldn't get a horse. In fact, if you're really devoted, buying a horse now is perfectly fine because you have so many years before you leave home for college. At our barn, once someone has outgrown a horse in size or level, or if they go off to college, a younger rider will often start riding it and maybe buy it. That way, we keep horses "in the family" and everyone's happy. Just don't make plans assuming things will be how they are now in 5 years.
Jem

Postby Mulcahy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:27 am

You sound like my sister. She is one of the most advanced riders at the stable. Maybe you should lease a horse first. It costs less than actually owning one and you get all the benefits. You might even get a special discount since you ride so much at your stable! If you do get a horse, you will probably ride it so much, it will be hard to take care of (financially). You are only 13, no one would expect you to afford that. My sister wants to ride professionally but my mom says that she needs to wait and work on her technique through lessons and leasing and then when she turns 15 or 16 (high school aged), she will be able to compete and own her own horse. I don't think it's that your parents don't trust you... I think every person has their own benefits. It's not abnormal for a parent to make their child wait. Someday you will grow up and be able to afford a horse on your own! But quiet honestly you can't now. Horses are money pits. You have the initial blow and then monthly costs after. Maybe your parents are afraid that you will fall behind on payments and they will have to scoop you out, and they can't afford it.
Mulcahy

Postby Parke » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:30 am

i really commend you for being so grown up for you age and planning out EVERYTHING your going to need to take care of this animal. im 18 and ive always wanted a horse, yes ive considered buying one but its a very big responsibility. now that im 18, my parents cant tell me no. but when i was younger they said no, of course. your parents are just looking out for you. i know it sounds like the BEST thing to own your own horse, i know that you have looked into all the costs, and hopefully the hidden costs like high vet bills and stuff like that. but you are only 13, your young, and i know you dont like to hear it...but you are. you have so much growing up to do still, and your parents are just trying to help you because buying an animal like a horse isnt a small decision. its something that will stick with you for atleast 20 years...what happens when you 23 and you loose your job and you cant afford to pay for your horse? where is it going to go..what are you going to do?? give it a year, still save for it. and maybe your mind will change, or your parents will see how responsible you really are and how committed you are to having one and they will change their mind. hope it helps!
Parke

Postby Weardleah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm

They're probably hesitant because they understand the full responsibility, where as you are still a child and while I do commend you for doing your research, you simply don't know and understand the full responsibilities that come with owning a horse.

For starters you're only thirteen, even if you were fourteen and had a job, it's going to be extremely difficult for you to make all the money you need to fully support a horse. If your horse requires veterinary care, your parents will need to step in. If you barely make enough money to pay board, your parents will have to step in to pay for feed or farrier or supplements, or whatever your horse needs. Those aren't things you can simply say "I don't have the money for it, so I'm not going to do it." Someone has to pay for those kinds of things and there's a very strong chance that it will be them.

Furthermore you are still a child in the eyes of the law, you cannot legally enter a contract without your parents. Even if you put down all the money for said horse, the horse belongs to your parents until you turn 18. They are legally responsible for everything that happens to that animal, and while I'm certain you would take very good care of your horse, if something, anything at all, happens they will be held responsible. They are also responsible for you, your decisions, and your life.

Buying a horse is a huge consideration, one that is frankly too large for you to fully understand at the age of thirteen because... no offense intended, but you are still a child living in a child's world. Until you're an adult operating completely on your own finances you won't understand how big a deal it really is to take on something like a horse.
Weardleah

Postby Judah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:39 pm

Maybe the best thing right now would be to lease a horse from your trainer or a friend with more than one. Buying a horse is very expensive. Upkeep is even more expensive. It seems like it could work now, but a lease is always a great option because at the end of a year/season, when you are ready to move up, lease a new horse. Plus, board at Berry College is $850 a month I was told... You'd be better off finding a barn off campus. If you buy a horse and are constantly working to keep him fed and sound and shod, how will you be able to buy a car or presents for friends/family or those great shoes you just have to have? Your parents have every right to be concerned?they're your parents. They're always going to be concerned. That is what they do. Be grateful that they are concerned. It means they love you. It's great that you want the other girls to experience what you have... But like I said, a lease is really a great option!
Judah

Postby stefford » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:43 am

I guess that even though you seem extremely responsible, being parents they just see the downside of everything.
They probably want you to save up for college, think you'll slack off your schoolwork now that you have your own horse or not end up taking care of it even though you clearly know what has to be done. Also your parents probably don't understand your love of horses.
My parents definitely dont!! I have to beg for my mom to make appointments for lessons!! She also constantly uses taking away riding as a threat, even though i barely go during school (i go every week in the summer) I feel like I could be doing much harder jumps if only I'd go more frequently. Honestly I'd love to be in your position and be able to show and have lessons every week, but I definitely understand why you want your own horse.
Try laying out your plan for them making a list of your income and expenses to show that you have a solid plan and didn't just dream up this idea.
stefford

Postby Hydd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Really? You've got $12- to $15k sitting around to pay for colic surgery in case your future horse needs it?

And, you're 13. You cannot enter into a legal binding contract until the age of 18. That means board contracts, bill of sale, etc. all have to go through your parents. If you default on ANY bill, they will be held liable.

I do not believe you understand fully the financial obligations of horse ownership. I suggest you lease one if your only concern is 'wearing out' schoolies.
Hydd

Next

Return to Life Insurance