Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Who is the best insurance company to work for?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby aliz20 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I just got my AD&D/Life insurance license this past month. The company I am about to work for, well, after learning more about the company and talking to some of the people that work there (they all complain about the leads, making no money, etc.) I'm starting to freak out a little and it's giving me second thoughts about joining on as a broker. I do however want to give this a try. I've never had a commision based job, so really any help from experience would be wonderful. I feel so lost right now on where to go, or what to do.
Thanks!
(IDK if this will help/matter, but I am located in Georgia)
aliz20

Postby long » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm

With all companies you will not make any money at the beginning of your career. This is the main reason that 95% of new agents wash out the first year. My suggestion to all new agents is to have at least 6 months living expenses saved up before you start.

In general, if the company is a multi level marketing type company that is not a good option. This means that if you need to recruit more agents to work under you get out now.

Your best option is to work with an established broker that works with many different companies because you'll have more to offer the client. Instead of trying to shoehorn them into a product you can find the product that's best for them.
long

Postby ealahweemah » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Almost everyone who tries to sell insurance does not make money. This company is normal in that respect.

At this company, the workers are honest enough to tell you the truth. If you find an insurance company where the workers all say that they make money from commissions, that means that they are liars, or that the ones who did not make money all quit or got fired.

Given the options, a company where the workers are honest is better than one where they are liars, or quit or got fired.
ealahweemah

Postby connlyn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:54 pm

YOu already got your license, might as well dig in and see how it goes.

YOu might have just as much luck using a phone book, as calling the leads they give you.
connlyn

Postby aethelweard » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:58 pm

In your position I would see if you can find a company that will hire you as a salaried CSR first. That will give you training and experience before you try to make it on commission.
aethelweard

Return to Life Insurance