Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Who is liable for car damage caused by passenger?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby covey » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:43 am

my passenger opened the door of my car (which was stationary at the time) into the door of the car next to me (which was also stationary) is the passenger liable to pay for the costs? can i claim any costs to me back from the passenger?

the damage caused to the parked car was a small dent to the drivers door. the passenger stated at the time they would pay the damage but since later has refused.

i appreciate any feedback, but any feedback from ayone with legal or insurance knowledge would be massively appreciated!! thank you very much.
covey

Postby eimar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 am

my passenger opened the door of my car (which was stationary at the time) into the door of the car next to me (which was also stationary) is the passenger liable to pay for the costs? can i claim any costs to me back from the passenger?

the damage caused to the parked car was a small dent to the drivers door. the passenger stated at the time they would pay the damage but since later has refused.

i appreciate any feedback, but any feedback from ayone with legal or insurance knowledge would be massively appreciated!! thank you very much.
It's your car, it's your car insurance. Unfortunately it's down to you. All you can do is sue your passenger (if this is worth the cost and trouble).
eimar

Postby kodie78 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:47 am

Legally it's your car, your insurance, and any passengers under your control, so you are stuck paying the costs of repair, or having your insurance pay.

You can claim the costs from the passenger, but that doesn't mean he will man up and pay.
kodie78

Postby leon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:54 am

You are liable for all costs. The owner of the damaged vehicle will claim directly against you for his costs. You must notify your insurer of the accident and pass the claim along to them for handling.

Your insurance should pay for the damage to the other vehicle under the "3rd party" clause of your policy. It will up to you to inform them (when you make the report) that your passenger actually caused the damage.

The company may then sue your passenger to recover the money. If they do this then you must advise him to settle up and pay them because if he makes them take it to court he WILL lose and be saddled with an enormous bill.

Even if your insurers don't ask for their money back from your passenger you will still take a hit on your No Claims Discount so you should ask for the equivalent sum that back from him.

If your passenger refuses to admit liability and won't pay anything to anyone then your relationship could be in jeopardy because of the reduction in NCD (higher premium next time) that you will be left with.
leon

Postby langley » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:01 pm

You are responsible for the actions of your passenger. You must pay.
langley

Postby mardon31 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Your car, your insurance.

If you want to be an **** about it then sue the passenger for the costs.
mardon31

Return to Car Insurance