Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Who are you insured with in the uk?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby beaumont93 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:06 pm

My dog swallowed a whole nut complete with the shell intact. It got stuck in his intestines and it nearly killed him. He is doing well after a massive op, thank god. I was insured but 2 months before this happened. My insurance ran out and I stupidly thought he is only 1 so he is a healthy pup and that he didn't need insuring now. The bill was massive but I am not complaining as he is alive. I just wondered if you can recommend a good pet insurance?
beaumont93

Postby spere » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:14 pm

I don't have insurance on the two hounds we now have. Over the years, as we had numbers, insurance wasn't an option in any case, but once we were down to just two, youngsters, I ran several quotes on the main insurers in the UK. Considering one of mine is a Whippet, which is a comparatively health breed with minimal problems, you'd have thought I was buying the companies!! And what finished it for me was the excess most policies carry. Of course, they are deliberately set this way, but the majority of my vet bills (touch everything!!) have come in at under the excess level so I'd have ended up paying the vet bill anyway, plus the monthly premium Can't see the benefit in that!!

Over the years, we've been 'lucky' not to have unduly large bills, and if we ever did hit a bad patch, we had a vet who we'd been with for years and who allowed us to stage-pay, knowing that we'd clear her bill before we put food on our table! Much as a big bill would hurt, we are maybe in a better position now than we've ever been, financially, so I prefer to keep my money in my own Bank account!

My brother in law uses More Than to insure their dog - and he does his RESEARCH LOL. When I took a quote from them I wasn't impressed one bit!

Your decision - glad your pup survived his earlier ordeal!
spere

Postby conchobhar » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:16 pm

The best in Uk is Pet Plan but they are also the most expensive . Tthey are the only one who have policies that cover any illness or injury for the life of the pet no other do that. I am with Morethan and have found them very good but they are expensive. My dog is now 7 and her renew is around £35 a month. But it is worth the money as they are good insures. The cheaper the monthly payment the less they cover. Compnay like Morethan , Marks and spencers and Buddies have policies that cover a certain amount for the life of the pet other a certain amount for only a year. As you have found out pet insuarnce is worth getting as you can never tell when you might need it. It is one of those things you hope you never need but are gald you have it when you do. It means when a pet is ill or injuried you only need to worry about getting it better not how you will pay for it. It is so important that you make sure that you pick a good insurer and stick with them as unlike any other type of insurance you should not keep changing companies as any pre conditions would not be covered.
conchobhar

Postby clay » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 pm

We are with Pet Plan,expensive but it certainly offers the best cover.It might seem like a lot of money to pay out each month,especially if like us you have a particularly robust breed of dog,but as we found out to our cost - all dogs can have accidents and when ours did the vet bill would have been £700 . Luckily we were eligible for care at the RSPCA hospital so he was treated for alot less than that. What we learned from this though is that dogs have accidents no matter how careful you are and in some cases speed is of the essence so we wanted to be sure if our dog was ill or hurt by accident there was a vet close by that would treat him,so we are now insured.
clay

Postby erich » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:37 pm

More Than, and I could not recommend them too highly.
erich

Return to Pet Insurance