Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Which puppy should I get?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby lavan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 am

OK. I've been wanting a puppy for years and I think I'm finally in a place where I can get one, I'm just not sure which one to get. I've already planned ahead with vets, emergency care, pet insurance, doggy daycare, groomers, and money, and I fully believe the only good reasons to ever give up a dog are you're dead or so disabled you can't even take care of yourself, much less a dog and in the even either of those happen to me, I've made arrangements; our family would never let a dog go to the pound.

I really REALLY want a GSD, but I've never owned and trained a large dog before and I know training a dog like a GSD is one of the most important things you can do and I'm a bit afraid. I'm a good trainer and I've trained small dogs, who can be quite stubborn. I guess I'm not so much afraid as unsure. I've worked with large dogs and I'm authoritative without being heavy-handed so I think I can do it, but I would really hate to screw up a good dog. Also, I live in a small apartment. While I would walk and exercise my dog daily, when at home, he wouldn't have a whole lot of room. And, I live in Alaska and when I go home (for holidays) it would be very difficult to take him and expensive to board him. I'd feel a bit bad leaving him behind.

Or, I could get a mini dashhund. I've trained 2 minis before and 1 standard so I'm much more comfortable with the breed overall. Also, they're small and portable. And while training can be a bit hard because they're stubborn, if they do something wrong, they're a lot easier to just pick up or hold down or something until you teach them to do it themselves.

I guess at this point in my life and my living situation, I should probably get the doxie, but I really want the GSD.
lavan

Postby jager » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 am

i would get the mini dachshund. although i love both dogs, the smaller one is always better for apartment living. its really convenient to have a small dog in your life because you can pretty much take them anywhere you need to go. ive toted my lhasa from home depot to nevada. i have a friend who watched her parents larger dog (a mutt) while they were away. it wasnt too happy in her small studio and whined to go out a lot. id like to say get the one that would make you the most happy, but that might not make the dog most happy, and its always sad to see your dog upset!
jager

Postby columbanus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:18 am

unfortunately, living in a small appartment probably isnt the best thing for a gsd =/ you could get a mix that looks like one but is smaller! :D
columbanus

Postby jud73 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:21 am

mini pinsher they are so cute;)
jud73

Postby amaury » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:36 am

Get the most behaved, and most healthy.
Breed depends on your choosing.
its up to you not every one else.
amaury

Postby azaria93 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 am

doxie
azaria93

Postby freddie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:48 am

A couple of things to consider:
As to training:
Well bred large breeds are generally a lot more docile than the small ones.
They're bred that way for obvious reasons.
Training a large dog is probably easier than training those doxies.
In general:
A large breed in a small apartment is not too good an idea.
Small breeds live a lot longer.

Have you considered adopting an adult greyhound?
They're pretty big, handsome, generally docile, will be toilet trained,
and are 'couch potato enough to be comfortable in that small apartment.
freddie

Return to Pet Insurance