Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What Would Be The Best Internet For Me?!?!?

All discussions relating to Business Insurance and Business Finance

Postby Earie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:47 pm

I live in the boonies and I'm trying to get internet right now the only options I have for internet is dial up, satiliate internet, these rocket sticks, or those turbo hub things.. Witch would be the fastest and I want something that will support xbox live.

Bell doesn't have high speed out were I am, their are these other companys like silo that use towers for internet but I have too many trees around my place and they can't get a strong enough signal.

I live in ontario canada

Looking for anyother options and opinions

Going crazy not having internet. Moved from a small town that had high speed now I'm having a hard time finding something that is decently fast and I won't get frustrated with because its too slow
Earie

Postby Keane » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:58 pm

Sorry but none of your options will be good for gaming (Xbox Live).

Dial-up is only a maximum of 56 Kbps and only sufficient for very light browsing and email.

For online gaming the two things that are most important are latency and upload speed.

Latency is the delay (ping time) in milliseconds that it takes the signal to travel to the server and back. The lower the number the better, but you'll definitely want a ping time of under 150 ms or you'll have major problems.

Upload speed also plays a factor in updating your player position data to the gaming server. Slow upload speeds can cause your online game to lag. The faster the better, but at least 0.5 Mbps would be my minimum recommendation.

You can test these speeds here: http://speedtest.net

One problem with satellite Internet is latency.

Due to the great distances that satellite signals must travel, a time lag or delay has been known to occur before information can travel to the satellite and back from it. The high latency that is observed can cause problems with Internet gaming and VoIP service. However, while browsing the Internet, this delay would not be obvious to you as the end user.

By nature, interference in wireless systems causes problems with smooth, consistent speeds. A direct cable connection is much better than satellite or cellular mobile broadband. For gaming DOCSIS 3.0 cable or fiber-optic Internet would be my first choice if it's available in your area, next choice would be DSL and finally satellite or cellular.

Unfortunately, Satellite and possibly cellular Internet are your only broadband options in many rural and remote areas.

Wireless mobile broadband services and satellite Internet are normally only used where cable or DSL are unavailable due to the higher cost, slower speeds and low monthly bandwidth limits.

A lot will depend on what Internet providers are available in your specific area and what levels of service they offer in that location.

Prices vary greatly by geographical area. The prices are higher in remote areas because there is less competition to lower prices and there are fewer subscribers to share the costs of the equipment and service. To stay in business any company must be able to provide all of its goods or services, plus pay all of the overhead costs such as employees, equipment costs and maintenance, utilities, insurance, etc. and still manage to generate a profit.

In densely populated areas this is much easier to do because the fixed costs can be spread out among many customers, however in remote areas with few customers, each has to bear a bigger share of the costs.

As technology advances, rural areas should see broadband Internet costs decrease.

Good Luck...
Keane

Return to Business Insurance