Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Things to Know Before Buying Travel Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What will people do if they can't afford health care insurance under this "Obamacare"?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

What will people do if they can't afford health care insurance under this "Obamacare"?

Postby lorenz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:38 am

I work 2 part time jobs and neither offer health insurance coverage and the cost of premiums for private insurance is so high that I can't afford it and even if I could the deductibles are so high that I will not be able to meet them. This new law requires everyone to have health insurance but it is essentially worthless when you pay $4000 in premiums and have a $5000 deductible before any benefits kick it. This year I went to the doctor 3 times (once for a physical) at a cost to me of $450. My medicine is $20 a month for elevated cholesterol which is $240 a year so all my medical costs were $690 with no insurance, so I would have to pay $4000 for premiums and pay the same $690 which would go to the deductible and my premiums would have been worthless because I would not reach the deductible. I now feel that if I have a stroke or heart attack I would just as soon die than go bankrupt and put a financial burden on my wife. I wonder what the tax penalty will be on my if I don't get it and if it is less than the premiums then it may be the best thing to do. Obama says he is for the middle class but this law is an total assault on the middle class which leads me to believe Obama has lied about wanting to help us.
lorenz

Postby dome » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:39 am

Then they will probably have to use medicare or medicaid.

Obamacare would have made a lot more sense to me if they added a good public option as an alternative.
dome

Postby spere » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:47 am

I understand your dilemma. I am lucky enough to work for a company that offers me a policy for about $100 a month with $1300 deductible, 85% coverage up to the limit of $4500 which is much better than what you have been quoted because your coverage would not be from a group rate and would be higher with less benefit. I agree with the person who said that the law should have funded a federal exchange where people like you who cannot get it from their employers could also buy it at a group rate. It would seem to me that Congress should reopen this law and fine tune it to include a federal exchange where people without insurance through their jobs could get it at a decent cost that would not break their bank accounts.
spere

Postby marvin81 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 am

I understand your dilemma. I am lucky enough to work for a company that offers me a policy for about $100 a month with $1300 deductible, 85% coverage up to the limit of $4500 which is much better than what you have been quoted because your coverage would not be from a group rate and would be higher with less benefit. I agree with the person who said that the law should have funded a federal exchange where people like you who cannot get it from their employers could also buy it at a group rate. It would seem to me that Congress should reopen this law and fine tune it to include a federal exchange where people without insurance through their jobs could get it at a decent cost that would not break their bank accounts.
You don't seem to quite grasp how insurance coverage is supposed to work, LOL!

In the example you cite that you say is "essentially worthless when you pay $4000 in premiums and have a $5000 deductible before any benefits kick in", the whole POINT of having that policy is so that if you develop cancer and end up with medical bills of $50,000 or $100,000, your exposure will be limited to that $5,000....

If you DO have a "moderate" heart attack and survive it, treatment can run to $760,000....is THAT part of your plan?

The penalty for not having insurance will be roughly what your premiums are, you'll just have NO coverage, so any medical event will essentially rob you of any "worldly goods" and then bankrupt you so you can qualify for Medicaid...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505146_162-39940799/how-much-would-a-heart-attack-cost-you/

The point is that by NOT buying insurance you would be relying on EVERYBODY ELSE to bail you out in the event of a medical emergency...

If you are "working two part-time jobs" you are not Middle Class...you are POOR....you should fix that...if you can spell "deductible" then you are smart enough to do better!
marvin81

Postby calhoun47 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:57 am

They say there are supposed to be subsidies for people who can't afford it. If you don't get it, you'll have to start paying a penalty every year anyway.

I do hope you're not in the group that always seems to exist: needs the help, wants the help, but can't get it.
calhoun47

Postby alitz32 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:09 am

DEATH PANELS
alitz32

Postby jaye74 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 am

The ACA exempts people who can't afford to pay.
jaye74

Return to Health & Medical Insurance