Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What Will Happen If I Win A Lawsuit While Collecting Social Security Disability?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

What Will Happen If I Win A Lawsuit While Collecting Social Security Disability?

Postby Devery » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:36 am

i recieve disability and my husband was recently was disabled with terminal lung cancer and told his timeline was 12 to 18 months.Two weeks later he was hit by a car while riding a walmart scooter back into the store.So we hired a lawyer... we weren't told we could both lose our disability if we collected any money or even if the persons insurance paid the hospital bills pertaining to the car accident. the real reason we wanted to hire a lawyer was because he knows he is dying and wanted to have money after the bills are paid, to get everything prepared for his funeral and to set up the same thing for me..We didn't want our kids to have to deal with anything as far as cost or arrangements so that was the main reason for filing the suit...But now the lawyer doesn't know if we will lose our disability or not and say's we could always refile for our disability..Well that is not an option,My husband is dying and it took me three years to get my disability.and he took care of me while I I was waiting for my disability to be approved...At this scary point in our lives, losing our disability is not an option because we would be homeless without it ...please someone help me...
Devery

Postby Troi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:13 am

Yes, any monies you receive would be used to determine whether you still qualify for disability.
It would be included as part of your income, so if you win, say, a 200k lawsuit, it's pretty much the same as you suddenly getting a 200k/year job.
If the money you get brings you above the threshhold for receiving disability payments, then they would cut you off or lower your payments and you could reapply when the money ran out.

However, it doesn't sound like this lawsuit is bringing you much money anyway, is it? How much is the lawsuit for? You would only be entitled to your out-of-pocket medical expenses anyway and how much could they be?
Troi

Postby Jonathon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:06 pm

sure you surely can. for people who stated no & "hell no" you men are clueless. The capture is you're able to fulfill the disabilty standards as indexed via the SSA & collectively as on energetic duty you do not have interaction in important employment for pay. What those skill for provider individuals regularly is you're able to be in a therapy application or in a wounded warrior status or on constrained duty to the component you no longer do the interest you're somewhat knowledgeable to do. in case you meet this standards verify to record under the wounded warrior link for expedited processing.
Jonathon

Postby Edom » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 am

Edom

Return to Life Insurance