Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What Is The Proper Way To Ask For A Dog While Leasing?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby Lockwood » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 pm

My husband and I have been renting our house for about a year.
We plan on living here for 2-4 more years.
My husband is in the Navy and leaves on deployment quite often.
When we moved in the realtor said that the owner prefers us not to have a dog but, since I am home alone so often, I would like one.
So my question is what is the proper way to ask?

Postby Barrymore » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 am

Just contact the owner and tell him just what you said above, and ask if you could have a dog, and if so, what restrictions he would have (breed, size, etc.).
Also offer to pay a substantial pet deposit.
If he's not sure, ask him if he'd like some time to think it over and get back to you.

If you're planning on getting any of the breeds on the banned lists (pit bull, rottweiler, etc.), your chances of his agreeing are remote, so be ready to suggest a medium-to-small breed or mix that shouldn't cause any problems for him (or his insurance).

Remember you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, so be polite and cooperative.
An if he says no, then you can always decide to move as soon as your lease is up.
If you're good tenants--pay your rent on time and cause no problems--he won't want to lose you.

Postby Acair » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:15 am

Look around at your housing options, before you speak to the landlord.

While you may have plans to live there for a couple more years, you want your landlord to allow you to do that - even if you don't end up being allowed to get a dog. Anything that puts doubt in their mind could jeopardize your tenancy - whether or not that's legal- you just don't want to do that, if all you would have to do is move to another place that DOES allow dogs. In addition, if things get uncomfortable as a result of your asking that question, you want to have somewhere else in mind, just in case it becomes time to move.

I would first call the realtor, and speak to them about your wish. You can also ask them about other options, and as to whther they feel the landlord might be at all willing to entertain the idea - but also, you should have something in mind that they could consider.

There's a huge difference between asking to have a Pit Bull, Husky or German Shepherd, and asking if you can have a two year old black Lab. Ask the realtor if they know someone would be willing to let you rent with an adult black Lab, and see what they say. That is your best tactic. If they find someone who is, go to Lab Rescue and adopt a nice one.

Postby Hunt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:14 am

Pick up the phone and talk to your landlord.

Return to Pet Insurance