Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What Is The Best Place To Get My License?

General Insurance discussions and general chat

Postby Chance » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:48 am

SO I'm 18 and STILL haven't gotten my driver's license due to money issues. I live in NC and the insurance rules here are pretty confusing. Even if I don't own a car, I have to have insurance. We were thinking about moving and I know that the rules are different in ever state SO I was wondering where would be the cheapest place to live and get my license so that I can get a better job? I've tried to do research on my own, but everything I find is really confusing. Can anyone just tell me what I need to know?
Chance

Postby Hrytherford » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:40 am

8th Ave and 32nd St NYC. Ask for Hector. He'll get you a license.
Hrytherford

Postby Tucker » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:25 am

I've heard that a lot of Western states are cheap, such as Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, and the Dakotas.

I know that for my own state of Michigan, you aren't required to have car insurance unless you actually own an automobile. Forcing people to pay for something they have no use for seems a bit inane, and thankfully, our government seems to be at least marginally more logical than North Carolina's (though Rick Snyder isn't helping much),

The only bad thing about Michigan is that our unemployment rates have been among the highest in the country ever since the recession was declared oh-so-many years ago. You shouldn't have a problem in a state like ours, so long as you're planning to attend college, university, or a local public institution. The only difficulty that might arise would be the inherent one of having to pay out-of-state tuition rates for your first six months, should you choose to begin attending school immediately.

I don't know. You're really going to want to do research before committing to anything. "Where to move" isn't a question you should be getting answered by Yahoo!.

EDIT:

I can't speak for other states, but in Michigan, so far as the license goes, if you're over 18 and a resident, you can basically walk into the Secretary of State and pay to take your written examination and get your license, so long as you successfully passed a road test from an approved instructor. Cost of most road tests in my area seems to be $50, with the license itself costing in the area of $30.

Michigan residents over 18 (I don't know what happens if you're not considered a state resident) can go to the Secretary of State to be issued a 180-day learning permit, that allows you to drove with a parent or responsible adult over the age of 21 (?) for the given amount of time, in preparation for your road test.
Tucker

Postby Iver » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:35 am

I got my license under my parents name and cars But I live in Ks
Iver

Return to General Insurance Questions