Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What Is The Aproximate Price Maintenance On A Boat Yearly?

General Insurance discussions and general chat

Postby Megedagik » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:30 pm

We are looking to buy a boat.
But i wanna get downt to the bottom lines on how much everythign will cost.
What is the aproximate cost for the maintenance of the boat per year. it is a 1998 regal 292.
My husband used to drive boats for other people, so he has experience in the driving part, just not he upkeeping of the boats.
Can someone help me?
Megedagik

Postby Darcio » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:28 pm

well it all depends on the condition. We have a 25 foot bayliner which was a lemon an we ended up putting thousands into it but assuming that the boat is in good condition and nothing breaks then you just need to accound for the general wear and tear of the boat. Plus you might want to figure out on average how much you will spend taking it out on the weekends. I found that to be the most expensive part.
Darcio

Postby Victorino » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 am

remember just ask boat owners . the best days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and the day you sell it, just rent one when you need it it's a lot cheaper than owning one and you don't have the maintenance.
Victorino

Postby Devdutta » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:19 am

Mine ran about $500. That's the boat only, no docking fees or extras.
Devdutta

Postby Azariah » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:22 am

For me, here is a break down of the general yearly cost for my 25' cruiser with a single V8 outdrive setup.

yearly slip fee: 1800

electricity yearly: 100

haul and block in winter: 300

launch in spring: 200

'short' engine winterize: 250

winterize fresh water system: 25

tune-up: 65

outdrive oil change: 50

mid season oil change: 30 ( I use it ALOT so I change twice a season)

towing insurance: 120

yearly insurance: 525

Some of the stuff I do myself like the oil changes and the tune-ups as well as change the drive oil and winterize the fresh water system, I could winterize the engine myself however that is important and if its not done right and it freezes its on me, if the marina does it, its on them, its worth the extra cost.
My marina charges $95 an hour so if you don't do any maintenance yourself add one hour each for tune up, oil changes, and fresh water winterization.

This is also baring any problems or breakdowns, and your ability to fix them yourself.

WOW I shouldn't have made this list....but in the end its all worth it to me and will not give it up.
For me, its a commitment, I am either out on it every weekend or on it when the weather is bad. Gas is another cost but driving wisely and efficiently helps.

hope to see you out there!

EDIT: Sorry forgot bottom paint at 120 Gallon, I use 2
Azariah

Postby Biadhaiche » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:31 pm

If your husband relies on the yard to do everything, figure $500 or so yearly on a regular basis and about $3,000 major repair coming up in the next 5 or so years.
He can save a lot by doing oil and fluid changes and minor tune-ups himself.
It's a lot easier than on a car and will bring the yearly costs way down.
Besides .... knowlege of how things go together may enable him to save the day, when the engine quits a mile from shore one day.
Inboard/Outboard engines have a very limited life, especially if not well maintained.
The $3k every 5 years or so, is not unrealistic.
Biadhaiche

Return to General Insurance Questions