Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Renters Insurance for College Students

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What medical exams, besides the Well Woman, should women take every year?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby rhyawdd » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a young lady about to enter in my mid-20s and I've never had a Well Woman Exam before. The reason why I never got checked is because I never had medical insurance to begin with since these past few years I only worked part-time hence I never qualified for it.

However now that I am working full-time and my health insurance is going to kick in Feb 1st, I want to take advantage of all the exams I can take to make sure I'm in outstanding health (or at least the ones my insurance covers which is AETNA.)

The first one that came to mind is the Well Woman, but recently my friend told me to ask to get the 3 shots women are supposed to have before the age of 26. I was wondering if someone knows the name of it, what it's purpose is, etc. Also, is the Well Woman exam painful? Is the physical included with the Well Woman? Can I ask for birth control after the exam or is that a separate testing? What other tests are available for women?

Thank you in advance!
rhyawdd

Postby vsneych » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:15 pm

This link covers the basics of a Well Woman Exam:

http://www.utmedicalcenter.org/center-for-women-childrens-health/medical-services/gynecology/the-well-woman-exam/

In order to determine what tests/procedures/etc is covered by your insurance, your best bet would be to call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card and speak with a representative. Based upon your policy number/plan number/group number (clearly marked on the front of the card), the representative would be the best person to tell you what is and id not covered by your plan.

As for the series of three shots, that would most likely be the Gardasil shots to prevent HPV.
vsneych

Postby luis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:18 pm

You could always pay cash at any clinic, county or private for such an exam. You are too old to never have had a female checkup.
luis

Return to Health & Medical Insurance