Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Detroit Most Expensive Auto Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What happens If I exceed my annual miles listed on my car insurance policy?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby uisdean30 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:36 pm

On my car insurance policy it says annual miles 2,501-5,000.

What I first singed up for this insurance company, I was only driving 3 miles one way to work. Or 6 miles a day to work and back. Or 30 a week to work and back.

I told them That I drove less than 100 miles a week.

This was true six months ago, at the time.

Now I drive 36 miles one way to work. or 72 a day to work and back, or 360 miles a week to work and back, or 18,720, miles a year just driving to my job and back.

Now that things have changed what will happen if my insuance company finds out?

Will my rates go up?

Right now I have very cheep car insurance. It is Only $93 for a 6 month premium. That Was I guess for only me driving 2,501-5,000 miles a year.

Now that I will probably be driving about 20,000 miles a year, will my rates go higher?

What would happen if I keep quiet about it?

Thanks
uisdean30

Postby yuvraj » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:40 pm

If the insurance company keeps track of your mileage, and you file a claim, they could decline to pay citing fraud in the application for the insurance.
yuvraj

Postby hastiin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:51 pm

If you inform the insurance company it is possible that they would review the amount you are paying.

If you do not tell them and you are involved in an accident and they found out you have breached the terms of your agreement they may declare your policy null and void and refuse to pay out.
hastiin

Postby aisley » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:54 pm

If you inform the insurance company it is possible that they would review the amount you are paying.

If you do not tell them and you are involved in an accident and they found out you have breached the terms of your agreement they may declare your policy null and void and refuse to pay out.
Change the policy and pay the extra few bucks. If you make a claim and they find out your car has gone four times the miles you claimed to drive, you could have a problem. A few more miles wouldn't be any trouble. They just want an honest estimate, not a guarantee.
aisley

Postby frederik86 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:20 pm

Most insurance companies give you a discount if you drive on "average" of 20 miles or less per day. The reasoning is that the fewer miles you drive, plus the fewer hours on the road, makes you less susceptible to being in an accident.

Since your policy is SPECIFIC of 2,501 to 5,000, most likely when you took out the policy, they asked you what is your mileage and you gave to them. Whenever you have an accident and on ALL estimates, they will list the mileage of your car, plus make/model etc.

Call up your insurance company today and report that you will need to change the mileage restrictions on your policy. Yes, you will be paying more for your insurance and they "might" backtrack to when you changed jobs to the increased mileage. But,,,,,,,if in an accident, and if you never report this, they could DENY your claim for fraud.

Do it now, before an accident, pay the higher premium, so you wont have to worry.

good luck
frederik86

Postby telutci44 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:24 pm

If you have an accident, your insurance company could refuse to pay out, or even drop you because you breached the terms of your policy. You need to call them, and let them know that you are now working further from home. Sure, your premiums will go up, but you need to let them know. The increase in your premiums will be a lot better than having them refuse a claim if you ever need to file one.
telutci44

Postby mannis74 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:34 pm

Insurance depends upon utmost good faith. In other words if your risk is materially changed you should notify them. Your risk has changed because you are doing greater mileage and you should notify them and pay the premium addition. To do otherwise is considered a fraud because you are getting a cheaper insurance then you would do had the true milage be known. Should they find out you could find that you are driving without insurance because they would recind the policy and you would find it difficult to get insurance elsewhere because they swop information such as that between them. You would also have to declare it because that cancellation makes you a bigger risk from their point of view.
mannis74

Postby lorenz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:39 pm

In the event of a claim, one of the things the adjuster looks at when he examines the vehicle is the mileage. Add to that there is probably a clause in your policy that requires you to tell them when things change.

So tell them, even if it goes up a bit it's better than finding you aren't covered when you need to be.
lorenz

Postby adal » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:46 pm

It's best to tell them the truth and I think you'll find out the premium increase won't be very much, probably less than $50.

As far as what would happen if you didn't tell the truth and had an accident that depends on which state you live in. In some states the insurance company must pay the claim as long as you didn't lie on the original application and in others they can deny the claim.
adal

Postby emmet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:48 pm

You will get away with it until you try to make a claim.If your car was every written off the insurance company would know the mileage on the clock, check your mot , and do a few sums.
They would then not pay out or at least reduce the pay out by a factor.
As you are driving 3 times your stated mileage the insurance company will state you are either committing fraud , of failing to inform them of a material fact.
Read the small print of your policy and you will find that this can invalidate your cover , so you may be driving without insurance now !!
Best to inform them and your premium will probably go up.
emmet

Next

Return to Car Insurance