Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What Car Would Be Better For A 16 Year Old?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby MacDubhgall » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:45 pm

I have a limit of $5,500 to $6,000.
I want either a 1999 to 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (or Cherokee Limited 1998-2001), or a Volkswagen Jetta (2003-2004) I don't have to pay for insurance, but for some gas.
I don't care about speed at all actually, just a reliable car.
I also want to know if the Monsoon stock stereo on the Jetta and the Infinity Gold system on the Grand Cherokee are good systems since I don't want to spend a lot on an aftermarket stereo system but i love music with a lot of bass so that is important to me. Thanks in advance!
MacDubhgall

Postby oidhche » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:52 am

Volkswagen sucks and Grand Cherokees suck.

Get a cherokee xj and you'll be good.

Just not a GRAND
oidhche

Postby Dontell » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:24 am

I have owned both of these vehicles in the past (different years).

From my experience, the Gran Cherokee was an extremely unreliable car. The major issue came when the transmission went bad (common problem with Gran Cherokees). On top of that, it had bad gas mileage.

The Jetta I've owned has turned out to be an extremely reliable car. Granted, it's important to note that the previous owners and myself included have taken good care of it. I'm not sure what these guys above are talking about. I have a half a dozen friends who happen to own Jettas (a few 03's) and they love them. An uncle of mine, who is a mechanic, bought his first Jetta 20 something years ago and loved it so much that he's bought 2 more since (new models as he's made more income). Although the major components in a Jetta (engine, transmission, etc) are extremely reliable, the electrical systems are notorious for going bad. This is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix (tune up around $200-$300). As for the sound system, if you want to play loud bass, I recommend getting an aftermarket stereo. The stock system sounds great, but if you play loud bass for an extended period of time, it will damage the speakers- and eventually they'll sound like ****. Because all that your paying is gas- the Jetta is also known for its great gas mileage.

To answer your question: Get a Jetta

-Very Reliable

-Sharp Appearance

-In your price range

-Great gas mileage

Hope this helps,
Dontell

Postby joy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:36 am

Don't buy a tin can car as there a death trap buy a car that meets the safety regulations for example a tin can car if you get hit head on the driver will get crushed and caved in from the front. but a car that meets safety regulations the impact from the front Is spread from impact and the front don't crush up as much and will save your life. Iv lost 2 friends who died having a tin can car also make shaw thay have air bags
joy

Postby Whitmoor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Get a third generation Chevy Camaro with a small block V8.
Whitmoor

Postby Carling » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 am

Fiat 500, at least 10 years old, do your own maintenance.

This car will keep you safe. Modern cars are too powerful and too quiet, so new drivers regularly drive faster than their ability to handle, because of lack feedback from the car. I have known lots of young new drivers kill themselves and their passengers by creating high-speed crashes.

The Fiat 500 on the other hand is noisy at 30 mph, rattles loudly at 40 mph, and is terrifying at 50 mph. It gives an exciting impression of speed while not actually being able to overtake any other traffic on the road.

Like Spock, I say "Live long and prosper".
Carling

Postby Mikio » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:29 pm

don't get a jetta!!! it will bit you in the butt later trust me. every dumb thing you have to fix later on it will cost you thousands and thousands....... I no this first hand I work on them for a living. you would be better off with the jeep but bewhere tranys fail like crazy in those older jeeps.
Mikio

Postby Cydney » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:30 am

You don't want a Pre-2007 Jetta.
Electrical nightmares! Plus, they are hard to work on and parts are expensive, which means expensive repairs.

Your logic about stereo systems makes zero sense.
Never buy a car because of a stereo system.

If you go aftermarket, you can get what you really want (with a little research) and you don't have to compromise the car (which is really the issue you asked about).
Cydney

Return to Car Insurance