Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Man Busted Selling Fake Insurance Policies!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What can I do regarding a car insurance policy that expired before I got in a car accident?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

What can I do regarding a car insurance policy that expired before I got in a car accident?

Postby channiel » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:38 am

I was driving my sisters car and got in a car accident on March 4th, She failed to pay the insurance on February 29th and the insurance expired on March 1st. I was charged with DUI and the car was tolled with a thirty-day-hold. We called the insurance and they said they won't cover anything since the insurance expired before the accident and I'm not listed on the policy and I was charged with DUI. My sister bought the car 6 months ago and still own $10,000. We don't know what to do. The car is wrecked and possibly totaled. We'll have to pay $1800 to get the car out of the toll lot and still have to pay the car off. Somebody suggested me to let the lien holder take the car out of the toll lot and just pay off the car. Is there anything we could do? Should I hire an attorney? Any constructive feedback will be greatly appreciate it!
channiel

Postby franky64 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:43 am

you have no come back. You were over the limit and insurance expired.
Decide if the car is worth fixing or if you can get more money back if you sell the good remaining parts if your in a position to wreck it, you better get to work and earn some money. If your going to court for dui you may need a lawer.
franky64

Postby mardon31 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 am

If you caused the accident you should paying it, because it was your fault. If your sister comes after you or the insurance does than you have to pay.
mardon31

Postby burnard » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:59 am

You will absolutely not be able to get insurance. You basically owe your sister 10,000 for the car you totaled or you need to pay the repair costs. I have no idea how an attorney would help you- it would just cause you to be out more money. Not sure what your defense would be? If you blew over the legal limit to get a DUI and wrecked the car, it is your fault completely. You made a really bad decision and so did your sister in letting you borrow her car.

You should just be thankful you didn't kill yourself or take the innocent lives of others. In my opinion, since you didn't kill anyone, you should be counting your blessings.
burnard

Postby tavish55 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:04 am

Buying insurance now will not cover the accident.
Hiring a lawyer won't help and will only waste more money. There are no magic answers.
"We don't know what to do". You will have to face the DUI charges, someone will have to pay the $1800. to get the car out and someone will have to continue paying the $10,000. still owed on the car. If Sister walks away from the loan, her credit will be ruined and if she is ever able to find an insurer in the future, it will be extremely expensive.

You and your Sister have some decisions to make.

Sorry, but You both made foolish decisions, now you will have to face the consequences
tavish55

Postby thane » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:14 am

Change your insurance company
thane

Return to Car Insurance