Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

What Are My Options After High School For Someone Like Me?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

Postby Drummond » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:31 am

So I'm a high school senior and a few months away from graduating, and the only thing I'm quite sure of at this point is that I will not be accepted to my top choice for university. I have an offer pending for an art school that I was considering but for a variety of reasons I'm really not keen on going there.

I want to take a year or two off, see the world, leave my family's house, before I decide what I really want out of life. It's scary.. to move at 18 years old by yourself, and I don't imagine myself having much financial support either. But people do it all the time.. so it's possible... right?

I guess my main concern is regarding options after that, could I realistically get back into the post-secondary school system if I chose to do so? I know some will recommend to stay an extra year and pull my grades up, but I couldn't emotionally handle another year at home. If I take this time off am I going to be stuck with JUST a high school diploma for the rest of my life? Is that even a terrible thing?
Drummond

Postby Goodwyn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 am

You can go back into post-secondary education at ANY time in your life.
People do it all the time.
Lots of students are like you, and take a year or two before they decide what they want to specialize in.
In some universities, depending on the amount of time you have been out of school, you will be accepted as a mature student, and sometimes the prerequisites are waived.
You would have to find that out at the specific institutions that you were interested in.
When I was in university, there were students in my classes in their 30's up to 50's.
Goodwyn

Postby Alvin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 am

Look at the Peace Corp. That's where I plan on going after highschool it let's you see the world and gives you great benefits.
Alvin

Return to Disability Insurance