Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

I'm Wanting To Buy My First Motorcycle . How Can I Convince My Parents?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Postby dubh65 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:27 am

I am 18. And I still live at home. So with that said my parents are strict and won't let me do much.
I already have a truck but im a huge motorcycle lover . They don't have that much problem with the safety.. It's the money they are worried about. I went to the dealer and since I don't have credit my parents have to co sign. I make about $1,600 a month. I pay $580 a month on truck, insurance and phone bills . So if I get the bike it would be $180 a month and $50 a month for insurance. How the heck do I convince them. Oh and they say cuz I won't have enough money for college. Any advice?
dubh65

Postby Elmore » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Tell them to buy the coffin first LOL....
Elmore

Postby Haden » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Hhahaha im trying same thing but i told them insurance is cheaper gas is better and i can get a job in the city sence i live kinda in the country now my dad is letting me get a 2012 ninja 650
Haden

Postby Tsubasa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:46 pm

you cannot
Tsubasa

Postby Webbestre » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:01 am

Do what you want to do. You are legally an adult and if you want a motorcycle, be prepared to pay for it. Regardless of what you are told, insurance will be pricy just for the fact that you are so young, and don't have as much experience as you may think. As far as the cosigner, that's your downfall. You need to save your money if you want it. I'm not telling you to pay cash, but with a significant down payment (usually 20% of the total price), they will give you anything without a cosigner, then your parents may be upset with you, but that's ok because you are an adult, and you are not relying on their money or credit to pay for it. You must know that if your parents sign and you don't pay, it destroys your credit before it starts and destroys your parents credit, which can take 7 years to fix (depending on how good their score is). Also if they cosign and need another vehicle before you pay the bike off, the interest rate on their vehicle could be doubled, since it would be considered a second loan. So save some money and you won't have to convince anybody and with that 20% down payment your payment will be 20% cheaper every month, so it works out for everybody! Even with no credit whatsoever that down payment will get you what you want before your parents even have to know about it!
Webbestre

Postby Bret » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:14 pm

trade your truck for a cheaper truck . 580 is too much unless it was a benz.
Bret

Postby Eilwen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:01 am

Speaking as both a bike rider and a parent, Safety is the reason, and money is the excuse.
I don't particularly LIKE the idea of my kids riding either!

Being your parents, they may have over-estimated your ability wisely sacrifice a minor pleasure today for the greater overall benefit of a University education, so they are using the money issue on the assumption that you will see the logic in this and thereby save your life and your economic future at one blow.
Apparently, they were wrong.
Eilwen

Return to Home Insurance