Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

I Want To Leave The House Just For A Night Alone By Myself.18 With My Own Vehicle But Authoritative Parents?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

I Want To Leave The House Just For A Night Alone By Myself.18 With My Own Vehicle But Authoritative Parents?

Postby Nathaniel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Would they have any legal rights to do anything? The cars insurance is under my mom. I just want to get away for a bit and be alone. My parents are really protective though and the idea of this would make them berserk, and the first and only thing they would assume is that im lying and am going to spend the night at my boyfriends house. Even though my bf and i have been together for more than a year, ive never broken the rules with my parents, and am very well behaved.
But yeah, could they actually legally restrict me from just leaving? Sure I'm under their roof and dependent on them at the moment but im not really doing anything wrong here at all -_- They WILL think im going to my boyfriends, and for that i'd expect them to punish me when i get home by means taking away something of daily value or interest from me
Nathaniel

Postby Beorhthram » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:39 am

At 18 you are legally an adult so yes you can. However it would be better to negotiate this if you can.
Beorhthram

Postby ApOwen » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:02 am

Nope, but if they get really made they could kick you out or make you pay rent.
ApOwen

Postby Cenewyg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:04 am

No, they can not take any legal action against you. You are 18 and you own the car. You have legal right to stay out all night long if you want. You can take off for 3 days if you want. Your mom can of course take you off her insurance, but not in the middle of the night. I suppose they can always kick you out of the house.....but if they are that freakishly overprotective, I don't see them wanting you homeless on the streets. Explain to them that you are an adult now, they need to stop treating you like a child. And if they play the under our roof card, tell them If they dont start allowing you to learn and experience what being a grown up is, how do they ever expect you to actually become one, learn to take care of yourself and, one day leave the nest and be your own person in your own place.
Out-logic them.
Cenewyg

Postby Alessandro » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:05 am

Do you have a key to the house? If not they could simply lock the door behind you and not unlock it for you. If you do then they could change the locks and not let you have a key. In other words they can kick you out and nothing you could do about that. As to the insurance, they can cancel you from under her policy. However this wouldn't likely take effect until the next day so you'd still have insurance that night PROBABLY.
Alessandro

Return to Car Insurance