Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Roamright Travel Insurance

I Want To Go To America But I Need Some Advice?

Going on a holiday? Get the right Travel Insurance!

I Want To Go To America But I Need Some Advice?

Postby Suzanna » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:18 am

You have to go with an adult (parent, relative, supervised school group, etc.) until at least age 18.


Citizens of about 35 countries can travel to the USA for up to 90 days at a time as a tourist or for some business purposes by registering for ESTA > before < their trip begins.
The cost is US$14, which is similar to the fee for the Australian ETA program. https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/withou... http://www.usembassy.org.uk/visaservices...

Registering is accomplished online, you don't need the details of your trip, and the confirmation is valid for multiple trips to the USA over two (2) years so don't wait until the last minute.

Print the confirmation - or at least record the number - and keep the information with your passport.
Having a return or onward ticket leaving North America is a requirement, so have a copy of your airline itinerary at passport control.

Check with your health insurance to find out if it covers you in the USA and pays for medical evacuation to home.
If yes then take proof of coverage with you.
If no or not sure then get trip medical insurance, which is cheap and sold by airlines & travel agents. The USA has wonderful medical care but it isn't free or even cheap.
Please do not skimp on this as an otherwise-silly accident could turn into a crisis if you don't have medical insurance.
This is a link from the US government, but the info is good for anyone traveling outside their home country:


If you are planning a long visit then DON'T schedule your departure day for the 90th day (any part of a day in the USA counts as a whole day, so if you arrive at 23:59h on the 1st and leave at 00:01h on the 10th it is 10 days in the USA).
Schedule your departure not later than the 88th day as there are no (zero) provisions in the Visa Waiver Program for someone to voluntarily extend their stay. If you miss your flight due to something Immigration might consider avoidable (ex. flat tire on the way to the airport) they may ban you from using the VWP in the future.
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:16 am

I Want To Go To America But I Need Some Advice?

Postby Steele » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:47 am

Sorry. In the United States you are legally considered a minor until you're 18. You would not be allowed to enter the country alone until then. To come at age 14 you would need an adult to accompany you.
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 am

I Want To Go To America But I Need Some Advice?

Postby Alo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:36 pm

well, you need more than a week in america! The flight is very long and you need longer if you wish to actually do stuff there. I went to America and I am going back soon it is amazing place so take you're time to look around! If you're 14 you will need to talk to your parents and buy a ticket and stuff, you can go alone but you will need money and probably guardian consent, best of luck!
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 pm

I Want To Go To America But I Need Some Advice?

Postby Burnell » Tue May 02, 2017 5:26 pm

You could get a tourist visa for a vacation in the US. But at 14 I doubt you could do this on your own.
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:38 am

I Want To Go To America But I Need Some Advice?

Postby Braemwiella » Sun May 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Finish school, get a job, save your money and plan your trip.
Or, convince your parents to take you.

But if you do come to the US, go somewhere interesting, not LA or Vegas.
Seems like the Brits all want to go to LA and Vegas, two of the least-interesting places to visit in the US.
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:03 am

Return to Travel Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post