Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: The Most Expensive Cars to Insure in 2014!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Unfair Hospital Billing Question?

Health Insurance topics including Obamacare & Health Insurance quotes

Postby conaire95 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:52 am

I went to the hospital last year and a psychologist came to talk to me. I didn't need a psychologist nor did I ask for one. He just showed up. I promptly told him to leave and he tried to pursue his visit and I kept insisting that he leave. He did after about 5 or so minutes. Recently I got a bill for that so called "visit". $700 to be exact! He did nothing, I did not ask for him to come, and I told him to leave. How is that worth $700?! My question is; What are my options on fighting this without expensive legal fees? Can I write a letter? What would I put in this letter? Is there a specific professional division that deals with these issues? Thanks for the help.

p.s. I do not have health insurance.
conaire95

Postby chasud » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 am

You can contact the hospital and appeal the charges. Let them know what happened and sometimes even threatening legal action doesn't hurt. If they refuse to appeal it, you can usually speak with an attorney and they will draft a demand letter stating you demand them to erase the charges since you did not utilize his services.
chasud

Postby otaktay43 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:59 am

Your option is quite simple: DON'T PAY THE BILL. It's not like some goon is going to kick down your door and break your kneecaps if you don't pay. The shrink will be forced to sue you in small claims court. If he does, then you present your defense to the judge. NOTE: Shrink will have a hard time winning if you didn't sign a contract.

Alternatively, you can negotiate with the shrink. Say, "This $700 is ridiculous considering I told you to go away. But, I am willing to give you $50 and we can call it even." If you do this, then get your agreement in writing.
otaktay43

Postby meng86 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:03 am

Your option is quite simple: DON'T PAY THE BILL. It's not like some goon is going to kick down your door and break your kneecaps if you don't pay. The shrink will be forced to sue you in small claims court. If he does, then you present your defense to the judge. NOTE: Shrink will have a hard time winning if you didn't sign a contract.

Alternatively, you can negotiate with the shrink. Say, "This $700 is ridiculous considering I told you to go away. But, I am willing to give you $50 and we can call it even." If you do this, then get your agreement in writing.
Sorry but they do not just sent a Psychologist to a patients room without cause so obviously you were having some issue they were not comfortable with and thought you required Mental Health evaluation.

So want to tell us why you were in the hospital?

Of course you don't have insurance.......................Internet connection, cellphone, big screen tv and on and on and on
meng86

Postby cadabyr » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:08 am

I wish you good luck . In UK we have the NHS. Free of charge and for everyone here when they need it. I've had better, more prompt and helpful service from the NHS than I saw my sister getting in the US from her medics thru her insurance. It amazes me how the US is so frightened of a national welfare service. You would NEVER have the experience you outlined here in UK's National Health Service. What a nightmare for you at a time when you need support. I hope you manage to get him off your back. That's just so bad. All the best.
cadabyr

Return to Health & Medical Insurance