Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Unemployment Fed 28th Deadline?

Unemployment Insurance and Employment Discussion

Postby Ashishishe » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:40 pm

Will they pass an extension of not? I live in Michigan, and it was reported that nearly 1.2 million people who loose their benefits. It's almost like they would have to add an extension, and not just say, well good luck on your own. But if they do, they sure like waiting till the last minute and worrying people.
Ashishishe

Postby Adoeete » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:12 pm

KATHY BARKS HOFFMAN

Associated Press Writer

February 25, 2010 | 10:42 a.m.

Governor calls on Senate to extend jobless benefits for hundreds of thousands of Mich. workers

Thousands of Michigan residents will begin losing their unemployment benefits next month if the U.S. Senate doesn't extend them by Sunday, Gov. Jennifer Granholm said Thursday.

The U.S. House passed a bill extending the benefits through the end of June, but the Senate this week passed a far narrower bill that didn't extend the benefits.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has said the Senate may take up a stopgap bill by early next week to help the unemployed, but Granholm would like to see senators move sooner.

"I'm hopeful that the Senate will act either today or tomorrow," Granholm told reporters. Without the extension, "the implications for the safety net of Michigan are just horrific."

Michigan's Unemployment Insurance Agency sent out letters last week warning residents they could lose their unemployment checks starting next month. The state has the nation's highest unemployment rate at 14.6 percent.

"Without congressional action, some 500,000 unemployed Michigan workers will run out of unemployment benefits by July," UIA director Stephen Geskey warned.

That's bad news for around 290,000 state residents collecting federally funded unemployment checks, since they may not be able to get up to 20 more weeks of extended federal benefits when their other benefits run out.

It's also bad news for 230,000 unemployed residents collecting checks through the state-funded unemployment program, since they would miss the deadline to apply for the additional federal payments.

Workers also could see their unemployment checks drop by $25 a week if the Senate doesn't act.

Most of the governors attending the National Governors Association conference in Washington earlier this week urged Congress to act.

"It's not just Michigan, it's across the country that people are going to see their benefits eliminated," Granholm said. "What happens if people lose their ability to put food on the table or to pay any basic amount of mortgage?"

"We just don't have the means to be able to support that level of need absent an extension of the unemployment insurance," she added.

Another article that answers your question

Unemployment benefits for 1.2 million Americans could expire Sunday

Without federal extension, 27,000 in Wisconsin would lose checks
Adoeete

Postby Kelle » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:00 pm

I have been unemployed for about 2 years now.
Hard to believe, but true.

What they do is allow the unemployment benefits to simply run-out, and then they pass a new measure in Congress to give extra weeks.
But, it is not retroactive.
So, I originally received 26 weeks of benefits, and then didn't have any for the next 13 weeks.
Then, they gave me 13 additional weeks...and then let that run-out and I had no income for 13 weeks...then they gave me another 13 weeks.

So, to sum it up.
They seldom simply extend the benefits directly.
They make people feel a little hungry in hopes they will try their best to get a job...even if it means being underemployed.

Oh yeah, and by the way, I'd been working since I was 16 years old and paying taxes.
This was the first time (at age 35) that I had been out of work.
Why am I not back to work yet? Because any possibility of a job for me seemed to always entail a 50 mile commute each way through rush hour traffic and a pay cut of about 40% from what I was earning (and I was underpaid at my previous job).

On a good day, a 50 mile commute during rush hour in my city takes roughly 2 hours if you want to be on work on time every day.
On a bad day, like we've had in the series of snow storms this past 3 months, you can double that.
Imagine spending 8 hours a day driving on icy highways to a job that pays you less than you've earned in the past 10 years.
If I could find a serious job at the same rate within half that distance...say 25 miles instead of 50, then I would go for it...even with the reduction in wages.
Kelle

Return to Unemployment Insurance