Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Unemployment Benefits "abuse"

Unemployment Insurance and Employment Discussion

Postby Feidhlimidh » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:18 am

My roommate has been collecting unemployment since February. I was under the impression that in order to continue to receive benefits, one has to ACTIVELY seek employment every week, not just once every 5 or 6 weeks or so. Is there a way that the person could be made to prove that they have been truly seeking employment each and every week(like having to go to the office and show where you have gone to look for a job), as opposed to what my roommate is doing(which is watching reality tv all day and calling this period of unemployment a "well-deserved vacation"). I work and pay my taxes into the system and don't mind when someone collects benefits for a short while between jobs, but when someone "abuses" the privileges, it really bothers me.

I hope you are the right person to be asking, if not, I'd hope you could direct me in the proper direction. Thank you in advance for your time and advice.
Feidhlimidh

Postby Kyle » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:42 am

The Department of Labor regulates the Unemployment payments. The employee on unemployment is supposed to be actively seeking employment to draw his/her unemployment benefits. If they find out he is not doing so they will no longer pay benefits to him/her. There are specific rules and they are regulated by the Department of Labor.

If you wish to call them and report a fraud than you would call the nearest unemployment office and report it.

Shirley
Kyle

Return to Unemployment Insurance