Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Trying To Call Cops For Something Borrowed?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Postby lany » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 am

To make a long story short. I was given an electric guitar to borrow until.. Who knows. She did not say when i had to give her back the guitar. Around December of 2011, i found out i had to move to another state. Three weeks before i moved, i blew her phone up, sent her messages on facebook, called her cell phone, tried to contact her parents... Only to see when i can give her the guitar back. No response to anything. So, i wasn't going to leave it there, so i took it when i moved. I've been here for a year, and i'm planning a trip back home. She found out, and expects me to bring the guitar back. I don't have the extra money to ship the guitar, let alone check the bag. I also do not want to carry it around an airport for hours. She said in a facebook message, "If you have money issues.. i will send you a MO to cover shipping".
Over the last week she has been nasty to me, demanding i bring the guitar back. Saying she will contact the police when i get to Michigan, if i don't bring her guitar.

First of all, she does not have any proof that the guitar is hers. There is no bill of sale, so to speak, saying that she is lending me the guitar and it is to be returned on a specific date. Morally, i know the guitar is hers. I told her i would be more than happy to return the guitar, i just cannot afford to bring it to michigan. I have a budget set, everything planned.. It would mess up my plan. She says i will deal with the authorities then.

Do you believe i will be charged with possession of stolen goods, or arrested for any sort of crime?

The guitar will be in Georgia. The police will have no evidence of me even possessing the guitar.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

John
lany

Postby Bradaigh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:02 am

If she does call the police u should have proof that she didn't answer your messages and attempts to contact her, but if I was in your position I'd go to my local police dept and explain my situation, see what rights and duties I have
Bradaigh

Postby Amald » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:49 am

For one she will be told by the police that she waited to long to all a sudden demand the guitar returned, in that amount of time she has lost all ability to even file a civil claim. She is blowing smoke. The police cant do nothing. At most they may ask you to give it back but thats about it. I had someone let me use a car and they gave me the title so i could get insurance in my state.
i was suppose to pay them money for loaning it to me then return it back to them when i had my own car. well i sold the car and never paid them anything and they started sending me threatening messages on facebook and voicemails. i saved them all. well they eventually called the cops and the police asked if i would give the car back i said i sold it and they said there was nothing they could do. Plus i filed a police report for harassment and they actually got warned to leave me alone or they would be charged. So dont trip.
Amald

Postby dougal49 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:53 am

Throws a banana at you just for fun* I say take her guitar to her and beat her in the head with it :)
dougal49

Postby Eginhard » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 am

This is now a civil issue.

She will need to pursue getting it back from you by filing a lawsuit against you. Losing the lawsuit for you means losing the guitar and probably money for all the trouble you've caused her.

See if she is really good for paying for shipping and ship it back.
Eginhard

Postby Saleem » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Cops will tell her its a civil matter meaning she has to take you to court to try to get it back if your refusing to give it back. Go to one them judge shows on tv. They pay you to settle your case their and even send a limo to pick you up.
Saleem

Postby Harkahome » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:28 pm

She can have you arrested for theft.
She may not win if it goes to court, but that may not stop her from making a police report.
Harkahome

Postby earle » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am

that's your problem send her the guitar or you can be sued.
earle

Postby lludd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:20 am

They have plenty of evidence: all the texts, emails, and messages you sent her.
Technically, yes, you can be charged with a crime.
Will the police actually take this matter up seriously? Doubtful, but you better chalk this up to a lesson in cyber paper trails, and that what happens on Facebook is forever.
It looks really bad that you could afford to take the guitar with you, but not take it back.
Personally, I would have just notified the owner that you are leaving and will leave the guitar behind.
The worst that could happen then is you could be taken to civil court (if it were lost/stolen/damaged) and you would win because you would have evidence of trying to return the item.
My real advice is to return the guitar, especially if it is actually worth a lot of money.
If it is worth a lot, the police will have a lot more interest in it because it is a potential felony.
lludd

Postby Pay » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:24 am

Lol No no no.. She let you barrow the guitar.. If she contacts the police and says well i let him barrow the guitar and he wont give it back they are going to laugh.. First of all you didn't steal it from her , you didnt go into her house without her permission and take the guitar.. You had permission to use the guitar and there was no written paper saying i will bring it back on this and that date.. You will be fine just have her send the damn money to you and ship the guitar, she's being ridiculous.. At least you tried to contact her before you moved to give it back to her.. Im not sure but I think she could file a civil suit against you.. You wont go to jail but you could have fines..So if i were you i would just ship the damn guitar and get it over with that way you can enjoy your trip with no worries
Pay

Return to Home Insurance