Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Theft/stealing from employer as a 17 year old?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby eduardo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Basically my friend, who is 17, stole £350 from the shop till over a 2 week period whilst his employer was away on holiday. The employer said she would not phone the police as long as he would repay her. Being a student he hasn't managed to pay back the £350 yet and she has told him today that if he does not pay it she will contact the police. He is going to tell his mum to see if she will lend him the money.

What would the sentence be for this crime from the police/court?

Thank you
eduardo

Postby dedric » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Courts take a dim view of employee's stealing from employers ! Your friend should try to obtain the cash from his family urgently to repay the money. If it goes to court just what the penalty is that the court award is a bit immaterial compared to the fact that your friend will have a criminal record after it.
This can have a massive effect on his life from then on as many employers do a CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) check before employing someone. A criminal conviction also usually has to be disclosed when applying for car insurance etc. It would be a great shame for a young person to stuff their future prospects for the sake of 350 quid.
dedric

Postby treven » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Paying the money back is probably the extent if the employer is sympathetic. The police would, of course, ensure that the money would be there every week until the debt was repaid.

There would be a black mark against your friend on the police records, but as I said if the employer was sympathetic (From the chance to repay her I assume as much) there would likely be little legal actions taken.

Short: The police would have a word with your friend for certain, and there would be a set budget in place to return the money. There's the possibility of paying more money or a fine because of the trouble.
treven

Postby chunta » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Paying the money back is probably the extent if the employer is sympathetic. The police would, of course, ensure that the money would be there every week until the debt was repaid.

There would be a black mark against your friend on the police records, but as I said if the employer was sympathetic (From the chance to repay her I assume as much) there would likely be little legal actions taken.

Short: The police would have a word with your friend for certain, and there would be a set budget in place to return the money. There's the possibility of paying more money or a fine because of the trouble.
Your friend is lucky to have such a lenient boss. But he's pushed it too far by not paying back the money. Has he actually paid any of it back? If not, then he is a fool and deserves to be reported to the police.
He will have a criminal record but I doubt that the sentence will be very harsh because the value is comparatively low.
chunta

Postby davidbowie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:53 pm

i doubt the Police would even pursue it, but it could range from a warning to a formal charge with modest fine or community service order. Remember, they'd need evidence to pursue anything.
davidbowie

Postby ritter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:58 pm

A theft notice on his record for ever more. Don't be kidded into thinking it will be removed when he becomes an adult either.

The sentence will depend on how far the shop owner pushes this - theft can be an imprisionable offence.
ritter

Postby uisdean30 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:16 pm

HAHA what a fool might as well drop out of college/uni you think any respectable company is going to employ someone known to have stolen from previous employers?
uisdean30

Return to Car Insurance