Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: The Most Expensive Cars to Insure in 2014!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

The other person's insurance company is giving me the run around..what do I do?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby marschall74 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm

I was involved in a car accident where the other driver was liable, I have been calling his insurance company since wednesday so that they can give me a rental car, but they told me that they won't have anything for me until tuesday. I have also tried to contact one of their representives that I was told to call, but I was unable to get a hold of her to two days so far. Will charges accumulate on their part for the rental car if they don't give me one?
marschall74

Postby ronell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:14 pm

The first thing you do is to stop calling them on the telephone. As long as you use only the telephone to communicate with them, they do not have to do anything. They only have to do something for you if you contact them by another method, such as U.S. mail, and do not use only the telephone.
ronell

Postby wyciyf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Other posters are correct. I will just add that is it also possible they have not had a chance to talk to their drivers yet. They will not help you until they get to talk to their customer and get their side of the story of how the accident happened. You should call and ask.

If you have collision coverage on YOUR auto insurance you should put in the claim and let YOUR auto insurance handle the damage to your car or you may be waiting a long time to hear from the other company if you ever hear from them at all.
wyciyf

Postby connlyn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 pm

The other person's car insurance company has NO duty of good faith with YOU.

You need to consider that it's quite possible that their policy was cancelled, that they are NOT an insured driver under the policy, or that they do NOT agree with you, about the liability of the accident.

They don't have to pay you ANYTHING, until after a judge has found their driver liable, AND found that the driver is covered by the insurance policy. IF there's coverage, AND the driver is liable, they're only "on the hook" for the time period your car is actually being repaired, or a reasonable period to purchase a new car if your car was totalled. And that, is usually $25 a day, times the number of repair days, or a week or two.

Even if that driver IS liable, the insurance doesn't pay out, if the policy was cancelled, or the driver was excluded, or some other policy condition was violated (like they were using it for business use).

Pretend they have no insurance, and procede accordingly. File the claim with YOUR insurance. Or sue the other driver.
connlyn

Postby alexander38 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:34 pm

The other person's car insurance company has NO duty of good faith with YOU.

You need to consider that it's quite possible that their policy was cancelled, that they are NOT an insured driver under the policy, or that they do NOT agree with you, about the liability of the accident.

They don't have to pay you ANYTHING, until after a judge has found their driver liable, AND found that the driver is covered by the insurance policy. IF there's coverage, AND the driver is liable, they're only "on the hook" for the time period your car is actually being repaired, or a reasonable period to purchase a new car if your car was totalled. And that, is usually $25 a day, times the number of repair days, or a week or two.

Even if that driver IS liable, the insurance doesn't pay out, if the policy was cancelled, or the driver was excluded, or some other policy condition was violated (like they were using it for business use).

Pretend they have no insurance, and procede accordingly. File the claim with YOUR insurance. Or sue the other driver.
Call your insurance company and have them fight with the other driver's insurance company on your behalf. Your insurance company can help you even if you are not filing a claim with them. They know how to haggle with other insurance reps and do what needs to be done to get the ball rolling. Do not waste any time. Get your insurance company involved as soon as possible.
alexander38

Postby kodie78 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 pm

contact your company and have them get in contact with the other company for the ball to get rolling. sounds like person that is at fault company is dragging their feet.
kodie78

Postby corday61 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:45 pm

The other answers already submitted make some excellent points.

You did not mention what state this occurred. State law vary from state to state.

You did not mention if you have COLLISION coverage on your car. If you do, it may make sense to go through your own insurance, and then they will attempt to recover from the at fault party later. It will cost you your deductible, but you should get that back later. Going through your own insurance is usually faster and hassle-free.

I hope you are correct when you say the other driver was at fault. I wonder if the other driver agrees with that statement? If not, then of course you will have problems collecting.

You do need to give the other insurance company an opportunity to investigate the facts. That takes time, and the assigned adjuster is working on many other claims at the same time. Very likely the adjuster is way over-worked. Everyone is calling saying, "What about my claim?" So if she can't get to your claim instantly, I hope you understand. That's doesn't mean they are giving you the "run around." Most claim offices seem to be under-staffed.

You left out a lot of details. Is you car drivable? Is your car repairable? Did you obtain any repair estimates? Is your car parked somewhere where it is accumulating daily storage fees? Do you really NEED a rental car? And have you already obtained a rental vehicle? If your car is a likely total loss, have you done your homework to assess the market value of the car? (You would need to find out the book price and locate comparable vehicles (year, make and model) for sale.)

If they end up being liable, and if your vehicle is not drivable, you should be entitled to loss of use. In most states, you are entitled to loss of use even if you did not rent a vehicle. I got rear-ended a few years back, and my car was in the shop for an extended period of time. I did not rent a car because I already had two other cars at home to use. But I did make a loss of use claim, and the insurance company paid me for the cost of a rental. (I had provided some case law that says I was entitled to loss of use regardless of whether I rented another vehicle.)
corday61

Return to Car Insurance