Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Things to Know Before Buying Travel Insurance

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

If someone hits my rental car do I have to pay the rental company for the car?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby fergusson » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:59 am

I am a very safe drive and not had an accident that was my fault. I have been t-boned and rear ended, and the at fault party paid for the damages with no money out of my pocket. .

My concern is if I don't get the rental car insurance, and someone does hit the rental car and I get all the at fault party's information( I.E. name and insurance); will I have to pay anything out of my pocket to the car rental place?
fergusson

Postby eduardo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:02 pm

You won't be allowed to rent a car without having insurance on it. You can either buy their insurance or extend coverage to the rental from your own car or from your credit card . Regardless. You WILL be responsible for the rental car.
Who else could possibly be responsible for it?
eduardo

Postby terrelle40 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Good question, but ask the rental company instead of us.

And for pete's sake, read the rental contract. Usually you'll be OK if the other driver is at fault and has insurance and all that, but read the contract anyway. There may be something in there that says you're responsible for any applicable deductibles or down-time of the vehicle, and if you sign the contract you're on the hook. If you can't understand the contract, ask the rental company to explain it to you before you sign.

NOTE: It's not just accidents you need to worry about. When you rent a car, you also agree that you are personally responsible for ANY damage that happens to it - regardless of fault. That's why their collision insurance at the counter is so expensive - but it usually covers pretty much everything and places little if any responsibility on you.

Know your responsibilities, know the risks, and know your options.
terrelle40

Postby ludwik » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:13 pm

If you have a sorry insurance policy you might want to purchase the insurance from the rental company. Otherwise it is treated just like your own car. If your at fault or they have no insurance then your deducteable would apply. Basically you would have your insurance company pay the rental company. But if you have a good policy with a reputable company then most people decline the insurance. Just remember though if your in a big city and door dents do cost you money if the car is returned with them in door. It something you should think about before renting anything of much value.
ludwik

Postby leonie61 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Most rental agencies contracts state that the renter is responsible for any damage to the rental car. That means if you return the rental damaged, they're going to expect you to pay. They're most likely not going to be interested in whose fault it is. They just want to fix the car, and leave the rest to you. You'll likely have to foot the bill for the damaged rental, and then go after the third party on your own.
leonie61

Postby swinton » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:20 pm

What if the at fault party has no insurance and does not pay? It would be just like if you were driving your own car. You would be stuck with the bill. That's why you buy insurance. If you have a good insurance policy on your own car then it will probably cover you for the rental car as well. Check with you insurance company to make sure. I never buy rental car insrance because I am already covered.
swinton

Postby sabino » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Not all at-fault drivers have insurance. If the car is hit by someone with no money and no insurance, then you have to pay.
sabino

Postby adiv » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:33 pm

It depends on the rental company, read there terms and conditions, and if that isnt clear, ask an employee.
adiv

Return to Car Insurance