Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

(uk) Some Mean Person Hit My Parked Car And Drove Off (didn't See It Happen) Insurance Info...?

All discussions relating to Business Insurance and Business Finance

(uk) Some Mean Person Hit My Parked Car And Drove Off (didn't See It Happen) Insurance Info...?

Postby chizkia57 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:05 pm

I returned to my car after a shopping trip to find the back side bumper dented and there is now a gap and the paintwork has come off, and other scratches. No one left a note, and no one seems to have seen it happen but I suppose because it is a busy parking lot , people are just busy coming and going about their own business. My question is I don't know if i can claim on my insurance policy as I don't know who is responsible and have no witnesses. I am fully comp and am with Sheilas wheels. Would I just have to pay repairs out of my own pocket without going to insurance?, as I don't have the money for this at the moment!
chizkia57

Postby Azriel » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:22 am

Unfortunately, it would go down as a 'fault' claim, meaning that you will have to pay your policy excess and your NCD will be reduced, if it's not protected. Firstly, I would double check, to make sure that the area in which your car was parked is not covered by CCTV - unlikely, but you might get lucky. Before contacting your insurance, get one or two estimates yourself and assess whether or not you think it would be worthwhile getting the vehicle repaired off your own back, or if you really would need to go through the insurance.
Azriel

Postby Earie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:43 am

Your insurance will cover it but it'll go down as a claim and your premium will go up for years ahead.

Might be worth getting a small body shop to give you an estimate to fix the damage and weigh up whether or not it's worth going through insurance or not.
Earie

Postby Omari » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:15 am

Parking lot = US

Car park = UK

Ring your insurers but you will lose your no claims discount and have to pay your excess to get your car repaired.

May be worth asking around local shops close to the car park if there were any witnesses or if they have CCTV.
Omari

Postby carny » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:22 am

Yes you can claim but you will pay the excess agreed when the policy started - it will be on the documents
carny

Postby Ruddy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:15 am

How bad is the damage? Is the car still roadworthy and the damage just cosmetic?

These days a few battle scars are more acceptable than higher insurance premiums, don't forget you will have to pay the first part of the claim depending on how much excess you agreed on your policy. Both voluntary and compulsory this could be as high as £800
Ruddy

Return to Business Insurance