Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Should Women Have To Pay More For Healthcare Insurance Than Men?

General Insurance discussions and general chat

Postby Caolan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:13 am

Apparently, many are, according to this recent article in the ny times:

"WASHINGTON ? Striking new evidence has emerged of a widespread gap in the cost of health insurance, as women pay much more than men of the same age for individual insurance policies providing identical coverage, according to new data from insurance companies and online brokers."

the article goes on to state:

"Insurers say they have a sound reason for charging different premiums: Women ages 19 to 55 tend to cost more than men because they typically use more health care, especially in the childbearing years.

But women still pay more than men for insurance that does not cover maternity care. In the individual market, maternity coverage may be offered as an optional benefit, or rider, for a hefty additional premium."

further:

"In general, insurers say, they charge women more than men of the same age because claims experience shows that women use more health care services. They are more likely to visit doctors, to get regular checkups, to take prescription medications and to have certain chronic illnesses."

the full article can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/us/30i...

Should Women have to pay more for Healthcare Insurance than Men?
Caolan

Postby Thomkins » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:46 am

Well we use it more, we have more things that can go wrong, then add in pregnancy........women are more expensive simple as that.

Men pay more for car insurance

poor pay more for life insurance

low credit folks pay more for everything.

Its all based on risk, and cost.
Thomkins

Postby Adao » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:53 pm

No because you can't predict who is going to get ill. Also it wouldn't be fair for people like me who aren't going to have kids.
Adao

Postby Eneas » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:48 pm

I believe syn, and that i thank him for offering to purchase me scientific coverage. of direction, ha ha, I stay in Canada the place we've already got universal scientific coverage. Now, as quickly as I wreck my leg, i will wait in emergency for 3 hours to finally get in an over-crowded waiting room. Then it basically would be yet another hour for a physician to tell me i desire an X-ray. and then the immigrant X-ray technician can X-ray the incorrect leg and then blame me even nonetheless i'm nevertheless in discomfort and haven't any thought what the F*** she is doing. Then they can supply me a discomfort killer and function me fill out some extra varieties mutually as I wait to get a letter to confirm a leg professional. It should not be extra suitable than 4 or 5 months from then that i'm getting to choose for a 3AM appointment in a distinctive city to get a CAT test. Then I won't pay attention back from everyone. it is how i be attentive to the device works. and because everyone, at each step of ways, is getting paid by the government, i be attentive to it grow to be well worth my time. regrettably my leg now factors the incorrect way so I might desire to stroll sideways everywhere like a crab.
Eneas

Postby Vaiveahtoish » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Only if a 65 year old shouldn't pay more for term life insurance than a 25 year old.
The cost of health, life, home, and auto insurances are all based on decades of actuarial data.
Vaiveahtoish

Postby Nosh » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:55 pm

Absolutely not! Women make less money than men, first of all. Second, health care needs to be nationalized because premium costs are getting out of hands. I know that thought terrorizes some people, but until they see how expensive it is they wouldn't understand. Just because the U.S. has the highest standard of living, that doesn't mean we have the greatest quality of life. There's a difference between the two.
Nosh

Postby vontell5 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 am

If its insurance - then yes.
The basics of the insurance industry state that anyone drawing from a plan will see an increase in their premiums.

We see stereotyping in the premiums with young male drivers - they are seen as a group 'typically' more inclined to reckless driving and accidents.
So, it would only be equitable if premiums were higher for the group who 'typically' uses more healthcare.
If that happens to be women, it is not sexim...it is merely the practice of a business that has long been taking financial advantage of those who use the system more...
vontell5

Return to General Insurance Questions