Not logged in? Join one of the largest Insurance Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Man Busted Selling Fake Insurance Policies!

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Should I buy a car before or after passing my driving test?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Postby swinton » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:06 am

I am a 17 year old male and I am nearing test standards and have my test booked in April but I was wondering if it's best to buy a car before I pass (hopefully) so I can drive straight after because my family don't have a car yet. None of my parents drive :P (they couldn't be bothered)

Plus if I buy a car before I my test, will the insurance be higher or lower?

And what kind of car should I get and the type of insurance to go with it? My driving instructor told me to buy an old banger under 1.2L and a third party insurance but which car and insurance company is best to choose?

Thanks!
swinton

Postby wokaihwokomas92 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:08 am

I would wait till after, you might not pass then you might not pass again, I passed 5 time, it was over a year from when I first had a test, so if I had brought a car it would of been sat there not used for a year.
It makes no diif to your insurance when you brought it.
Go for something small, 106's are good, had a 1.1litre one, good mpg and insurance.
Dont go to old banger, my first car cost 500pounds and was too rubbish, keep breaking down.
wokaihwokomas92

Postby eadbeorht3 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:10 am

It doesn't matter what car you buy or who you get insured with, you are going to pay at least £4,000 for the insurance. If you can afford that (and the car itself), then buy the car now.
eadbeorht3

Postby spere » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:22 am

get insured now the longer your insured the lower it gets and always try and protect a no claims bonus if you ever get one lol
spere

Postby earvin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 am

Do a site search on here using the search terms "insurance for teens" and see what's what.
earvin

Postby eduard » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:27 am

If you're at test standard, then start looking around. Doesn't mean you need to get one, but now is the time to start looking for a bargain car and figuring what's going to be insurable without costing the earth. If you can get something which is 1 litre or less then that should be cheap to insure, but there are also certain cars that will be cheaper despite their engine size. A 1.2 Saxo is seen as a "boy racer" car and so will usually be more expensive to insure than an old 1.5 Lada or something which no "boy racer" would want to be seen dead in, but are safe and reliable cars.

Start looking on Autotrader or similar for cars in your budget and not too far away, and maybe even go and look at some so you start getting used to what things to look out for with a car, and with some luck you should find something nice that you can afford to insure for about the same time as you pass your test.
eduard

Postby devoss » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:31 am

Your driving instructer is correct, when you purchase your car, make sure it has small engine. When it comes to insurance there are so many comparisons websites such as compare the markert, confused.com etc. When you are looking for a car i suggest searching on auto trader. I must warn you to be ready for outrageous quotes from insurers, i read recently one young got a quote of 45.000 pound for insurance. As you are only going for third party insurance, you might be okay. I would recommend taking the pass plus scheme as this will help lower your premiums. One more thing i know you parents dont drive but do you have an older sibling or even a relative who has been driving for quite a while. If you do then you can be a second driver on their policy if they allow you. I dont think buying a car before or after your test wil have an impact on you premium. I hope this helps and good luck in your test when you take it.
devoss

Postby mardon31 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 am

What insurance company will insure someone without a licence lol doesnt work that way. Get your licence first, then you can test drive a car before you buy it! You dont buy a car then test drive it. Its true comprehensive insurance will cost more for younger drivers so just get third party or third party plus theft. Keep in mind if you have money for a better car than an old banger get a better car. Think about must haves eg: power steering, air conditioner, brakes and tyre condition, safety features (air bags). You dont want a death trap. Plus the more you spend the more you will resell the car for anyway. Get a fun/cool car you will actually feel comfortable in with mates or a girlfriend.
mardon31

Postby lyman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:47 am

Get the car straight after you pass. I think the insurance would be impossible before passing.
To keep insurance down you could look at one of the city type cars with a small engine- a Citroen C1 is 1000cc and has road tax of £20p.a.
The only thing about a reasonably newish car is that you will want full insurance not just 3rd party etc.

Older cars may break down a lot or need a lot of repairs and running costs.

The first few years for a young man are VERY expensive on car insurance, I'm afraid. There are possibly schemes for low mileage and for agreeing to have a monitor in your car- check the internet.

No one driving in your immediate family is very unusual!
lyman

Return to Car Insurance