Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Should My Addicent/injury Attorney Get More Money Out Of My Settlement Then I Do?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

Should My Addicent/injury Attorney Get More Money Out Of My Settlement Then I Do?

Postby Adamko » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:16 am

I was involved in a major car accident in January of last year. Two idiots, who weren't paying attention to what they were doing, ran a stop sign, in a old beat up pick up truck with a "homemade" trailer attached to the back of it, and stopped in the middle of the road which caused the whole road to be blocked. I was going the speed limit which was about 70 mph, on my way to get my books for my spring semester of nursing school. Well I was driving along and these morons, ran the stop sign, pulled their whole truck and trailer out into the middle of the road, blocking the entire road, and then just stopped. I tried to stop in time so we didn't wreck but, since I was going 70 mph and they ran a stop sign and stopped in the middle of the road out of nowhere, it was impossible to miss them. So as I tried to stop, my car went sliding, and I ended up colliding head on into the side of their "homemade" trailer. My car ended up completely totaled and I was trapped inside and couldn't move. Once the ambulance got there, they had to get my out with the "jaws of life" because the car was so messed up, there was no other way to get me out. One of the paramedics was talking to the other party, who had ran the stop sign, and asked them what happened and they said that they were in a hurry to get to the "scrap metal shop" before it closed and that's why they ran the stop sign. Neither of the two men of the other party were hurt at all. When they eventually got my out if the car, I had neck injuries due to severe whiplash, spinal and tissue damage to my back, a spinal sprain, and I was 8 weeks pregnant. When my car hit their trailer head on, my steering wheel slammed right into my stomach and I thought for sure I was going to lose my baby. But thank god, I didn't. The ambulance then took me to the hospital and did all these x rays on me and found my spine and spinal tissue were damaged. After I was discharged from the hospital, I went ahead and hired an attorney since it was obvious that the accident was caused by the other party and the police confirmed this as well. Well I went ahead and hired an attorney in which I was under the impression was a good one and would help us out to the fullest extent. Well, they didn't do a very good job in my opinion, through the whole process. I had to rather some of my own medical records and give them to them, which I thought was supposed to be their job to do. They took forever getting the other hospital bills and other paperwork needed for my case together. I also had to track down the police traffic accident report and get it to them as well, in which again, I thought was their job. We are just now getting things settled with the adjuster from the other insurance company and it's been since last Jan 27, so that would be a year and 2 months for them to finally settle this case. My case worker just emailed me a "settlement breakdown" which includes everyone that has to be paid first and how much they get before I get my part of my settlement. As I was looking on the settlement breakdown sheet, I saw that my attorney is to be paid more money out of my settlement then I will receive! So in other words, for my settlement, my attorney receives $3464.88 in "fees", plus an additional $358.86 for attorney's "expenses". Ont the settlement breakdown sheet I looked at what I woulod end up with and it was only $2534.88.

Now, I have never been in a situation like this before so I don't know if I'm getting the **** end of the deal from my attorney or if this is what usually happens in these kinds of cases? Can someone that has gone through something similar to this or knows anything about this, please help me by explaining to me if it's correct that my attorney should get more money out of MY SETTLEMENT THAN ME?? This just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever and it doesn't seem right or fair. Like I said, I don't know if that's usually the way ot goes with these types of cases or am I just getting screwed over? My attorney emailed me all of the paperwork to sign and get back to him, but I really don't want to sign anything until I fully understand this and if this is fair on my part. If anyone can help me or has an answer to any of my questions, please let me know. And if I am getting ripped off by my attorney, what can I do about it, at this point, before signing the paperwork and returning it back to them? Any information will be greatly appreciated, thank you. And if you do respond and have a answer, please explain it as detailed as you can so that I can understand what your saying. Thanks!
Adamko

Return to Car Insurance