Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

I Setup An Insurance Claim But For Information Only. Is My Insurance Company Going To Keep It For Themselves?

Anything related to Car Insurance, Car Insurance Quotes, Insurance Claims

I Setup An Insurance Claim But For Information Only. Is My Insurance Company Going To Keep It For Themselves?

Postby Habib » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:55 am

I was involved in car accident where driver behind me bumped into me breaking rear light and scratching bumper and immediately admitted his fault. He agreed to pay the costs but not knowing him I setup a claim with insurer and told them not to go ahead with it unless I told them otherwise. They said they will keep it for information only and not going to pass it onto anyone. Can I really trust them? Maybe I am a bit paranoid but I've seen recently tv programme how insurance companies sell information between themselves and to third parties.
Habib

Postby Eri » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:12 pm

All Insurers use the same database. It will show up there.

UK
Eri

Postby Eadgar » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:36 am

You can NEVER trust an insurance company. They will have shared details of your accident on the national database by now. They share everything they know, even if you don't make a claim.

As far as they are concerned, you had an accident, so are a greater risk, even if you don't claim.

A good few years ago, i got a quote. I wanted to know how much my insurance would be IF I modified my car. The quote was huge, so I didnt modify the car. A year later I was on the phone so a totally different insurer to get a quote. "Is the vehicle modified" thay asked. No I say, its standard. "No?" they say. NO I say, NO MODIFICATIONS... "Oh, its just that we have information here saying that your car is lowered, has 17" wheels, side skirts etc etc. Grrrr I was so mad. The original insurer obviously recorded the details of the mods I was CONSIDERING but didnt do.
Eadgar

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 pm

A lot depends on what state you live in and which insurance company you have.
And, did you report the claim to your insurance agent or directly to the company.

Since it looks like you were rearended the accident is not your fault.
I would not worry.
I would also seriously advise against taking money from the other party.
You should go through the other guys auto insurance policy.
BUT if you have collision coverage on your auto insurance go through your own policy.
Never accept money from the other party.
Lots of things go wrong.
Go through the insurance.
Lawrence

Return to Car Insurance