Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Is My Room Covered By Home And Contents Insurance?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Postby Ethelbert » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:06 am

I rent a room in an apartment from the owner and the owner's brother rents the other room. There was a burglary and mostly my stuff was stolen. The owner made a claim on the home and contents insurance but they don't want to pay for my things stolen from the rented room.

Does home and contents insurance cover items in a rented room?
Ethelbert

Postby Frances » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:55 am

Unfortunately, you won't be covered.
The same thing happened to me and I learnt the hard way.

You have to take out your own insurance, which shouldn't cost much if you are only insuring stuff in your room.
If your flat mates were to claim for more stuff than what is on their own policy, they could be refused their own claim... due to being 'under insured'.
Frances

Postby Milap » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 pm

No - the owner's insurance plans frequently covers merely their own posessions - the coverage could strengthen to cover contents of travellers - yet this in many cases skill pals/ kin, no longer paying travellers.
Milap

Postby Arvil » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:26 pm

You would need to check on the insurance policy.

Why didn't they want to make a claim for your things? If they agree to make a claim on this occasion, perhaps you should be making a contribution to the insurance or take out your own insurance in the future.

Part of your investigation could include how the burglar entered - was this something which the owner of the property should have thought about - e.g. insufficient security on doors or windows.
Arvil

Postby colyn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:18 am

No, there is no coverage on your landlord's homeowners policy for your things.
His insurance only covers him & any resident relatives.
He can't insure anything he doesn't own & he doesn't own your things.
If you want coverage for YOUR things, YOU have to purchase a tenants or renters policy.
colyn

Postby Oates » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:41 pm

No it doesn't, you need to have your own policy covering your possessions, the insurance other people took out was for there items only, the insurers would not be willing to replace items that they are not insuring on the policies,
Oates

Postby trentin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am

Sorry, this is why there is a renter's policy, the owner made a claim on their owned property, they can't claim your owned property.

Sorry to hear about the robbery, go to the agent who writes your auto policy and buy a renter's policy, it's very cheap and probably will also generate a discount on your auto insurance.
trentin

Postby Meyer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:16 am

Hi. Im sorry but you need to have your own insurance for rented accomodation.
Meyer

Postby Thornly » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Dion most of the time with homeowner insurance it only cover what the landlord owns not your personal things. I suggest u get your own renters insurance (not expensive) and take pictures of everything possible.ie electronic stuff like puters printers stereos etc. and get the serial numbers off everything that has any real value.. this way if it is stolen or damaged you have proof of ownership.. it would also help if u saved any and all receipts for those products.. good luck be safe....
Thornly

Return to Home Insurance