Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Returning To Canada From Us

Insurance & Special Deals for Seniors

Returning To Canada From Us

Postby Collby » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am

Dear Mr. Morson,

I am a Canadian citizen who has lived in the US for most of my life.  I did return briefly to live in Canada in the 1970s when I gave up my US permanent resident status and worked in Edmonton for a year or so.  I then returned to the US and once again obtained permanent resident status in the US after obtaining a divorce in Canada.  I am considering moving back to Canada permanently.  I must have had the Canadian equivalent of a Social Security Number(SIN in Canada?) but have no record of it.  How do I go about tracking this down as I believe that is the first step in returning and having the proper records in order.  I also would like to learn about having my pension benefits, which were paid into the US system, "credited" to the Canadian system so I can access them.  Can you help me with this?  Thank you so much.
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:42 am

Returning To Canada From Us

Postby brick » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:17 am

Dear Barbara,

Contact Service Canada. This is the government agency responsible for providing many services directly to individual Canadians, including the issuance of new Social Insurance Number cards to replace lost ones. Service Canada may also inform you about the Canada Pension Plan and the Old Age Pension.

You might find these links helpful:

SERVICE CANADA - APPLYING FOR NEW SIN CARD(2 links)http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/index.shtmlhttp://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/how.shtml

SERVICE CANADA - RETIREMENT PLANNINGhttp://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/lifeevents/retirement.shtml

If this response has been helpful, please let others know by completing the AllExperts.com rating form.

Best wishes,

Tim Morson, CCIC*



353 Saint-Nicolas

Suite 307

Montreal, Quebec


T: 514-845-5454

F: 514-845-8174

[email protected]



*Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant(CCIC)

Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants(CSIC)

CSIC Member No M041310
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:30 am

Return to Seniors Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post