Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   


Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Regular Ira To Government Tsp

Insurance & Special Deals for Seniors

Regular Ira To Government Tsp

Postby Broderick » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:43 am

I have about  $170K in one traditional IRA of which about $12,000 is non-deducatable contributions.  How can I roll the maximum  money to a Federal TSP account  and exclude the non-deducatable contributions from going into the TSP, since only deducatable contributions may go to the TSP?  Can I leave the $12,000 in the IRA?
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:51 pm

Regular Ira To Government Tsp

Postby Bartle » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:21 am

The Financial Quarterb

Jim thanks for your question. You are indeed able to rollover your IRA into your TSP by completing form TSP-60. Your non-deductible contributions would remain in your IRA. Let me guess, you would like to move your IRA into the TSP because it's cheap. Well that makes very good sense. However, I usually recommend that people do not rollover their money back into a company plan or TSP. Even though I preach on the benefits of passive investing(investing only in index funds), you will NEVER be able to get the asset allocation opportunities in your TSP as you have available in your IRA using ETF's, index funds, or structured index funds. In addition, you have the Roth conversion opportunity which might be beneficial to you now or into the future. Just my thoughts and hope this helps.  
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Return to Seniors Insurance


  • Related topics
    Last post