Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Questions About Volunteering At A Dog Shelter?

Insurance for your furry friends

Postby Deylin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 am

I am thirteen and plan to volunteer at an animal shelter. My step dad is friends with he founder of the shelter so he plans to bring me there to volunteer. Can someone please answer the following questions:

1.) What kinds of animals do they have at animal shelters, I understand it may vary with he different shelters but what kinds have you seen?

2.) What kinds of jobs are there at the shelter for a volunteer?

Thank you!

Postby Severn » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:41 am

1 mainly dogs and cats or exotic pets

2 mainly carers for unwanted pets, who need T.L.C

good luck

Postby Yuuto » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:23 pm

It depends on what the particular shelter decided to specialize in, most city funded humane societies focus on cats and dogs but generally accept small house pets such as rabbits, guinea pigs, reptiles, and birds as well.
Some of these also have sections purely for the care of wildlife, but those generally require their volunteers to be older due to different insurance policies and permits. Private rescues may take primarily cats or dogs as well, but many choose to specialize in other species: birds, small animals, livestock, reptiles, exotics, etc.

As for the types of jobs they offer, its primarily animal care - especially for someone your age. Other positions would include behavior testing, training, adoption counseling, and secretarial work/interacting with the public. Animal care will likely consist of cage cleaning, feeding, dog walking, and possibly enrichment with cats or other residents depending on the particular shelter.

Postby Pueblo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:00 am

Normally local animals shelters have mainly dogs and cats, occasionally you might get the random other animal like a rabbit or ferret or small bird. I suppose if you live in a very rural area, the types of animals might be more varied to include small livestock, if that shelter had proper facilities for them. In terms of what type of jobs there are for volunteers, feeding animals, walking dogs, cleaning cages. Although, being so young, I wouldn't be so sure that you can do everything. I know that my local shelter does not let anyone under the age of 18 interact with the dogs for liability reasons. If you are under 18 you can only volunteer with the cats and kittens. I do not know if this is true for other shelters as I have only volunteered at my local one, and private rescues.

Postby Rayhurn » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:56 pm

I dont think it is legal to volunteer at animal shelter because i tried and they said we cant let you help out due to insurance reasons ? I am 13 years old aswell and live in the UK so it might be a different law in other countries?

At animal shelters i have seen mainly dogs, cats and rabbits.

You would probably have to muck out and walk the dogs or something like that!

Hope it helps

Postby Aryoch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:30 am

a million. No. except you've been heavily adversarial to a particular dogs. yet each and every of the dogs choose care. in addition they don't choose you determining on and transforming into connected to one. 2. hardly. 3. walk, feed, wash and typically play with the dogs 4. Very hardly for volunteers, except something become replacing 5. Posters or information superhighway classified ads 6. that is artwork. yet no longer something undesirable. Shelters are literally the funnest position to volunteer, 7. probable chop up up, yet there's a probability you'll stick jointly 8. dogs and pee. xD Like a moist dogs scent, yet no longer rather. that isn't any longer undesirable. 9. relies upon on the issue of your interior of reach protect. 10. That those dogs were kept and characteristic a probability at a clean/loving existence. :3 11. No. yet you may want to retrieve the dogs that is going to get placed down. :( 12. certain. 13. A worker will probable contain you the first few circumstances. you may walk with a pal after. :)

Postby roano84 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm 14 and going to work at an animal shelter soon, I'm actually going to the interview today :).

At this certain animal shelter they have dogs, cats, horses, chinchillas and mice. But I suppose it varies with different shelters

And the kind of jobs you can do there is take the dogs for walks around the field in the back, play with them there, clean out and sort out their pens. But because I'm under 16 I have to work with cats and the type of jobs will probably be playing with them and cleaning and sorting out their pens.. like filling food and water bowls and that :)

Don't expect to go straight to walking dogs and playing with them because they might not allow you due to health and safety and will probably start you off with smaller animals. Good luck!

Return to Pet Insurance