Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Question about Renters' Rights?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Postby korey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:06 am

I have a question that was brought up to me by my sister~N~Law

When she signed on application, She had put ''Terrier'' when asked what type of breed the dog was. When she found out that it was a ''Pitbull'' she called her home owners insurance to see if it covered it, Im guessing if the dog would bite someone or thing. Her home Insurance said no. Then she called my sister and gave her a 30 day notice 1 day after she paid her rent which was on 12/7/2012.

Now if my sister found a new place by this week and she moves out. Does the owner have to give the remaining/partial funds of the rent back? She lives in Sacramento, Ca.

Next question! The owner said she will be putting a for Rent sign on the Yard and she stated that she can let potential renters inside the home to be looked at while my sister is still within the 30 day period.
korey

Postby wolfcot » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:12 am

Hahaha your sister is smart everyone above is kinda wrong when they say a pit bull isn't a terrier. The pit bull's full name is "American Pit Bull Terrier". So no, she didn't lie on her application, she was just sneaky and found a way around it. So personally i would say the land lord does owe her money back
wolfcot

Postby redford » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:19 am

I am in CA too.

Your sister owes rent until Jan 6, or the place is rerented. So, yes, there may be some deductions from her deposit. The rent, any cleaning, any repairs.

Since your sister moved out she gave up possession, so the landlord is not required to give any notice to enter. The sign in the yard can be there if your sister lives there or not. It can also be shown, there or not, but notice has to be given if she is residing in the home still.
redford

Postby andi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:21 am

No, the December rent does not have to be paid back because your sister broke the lease terms. Under normal circumstances, rent is pro-rated. But this is an eviction. Landlrod has the right to show the place to prospective tenants while your sister is living there. Your sister has created a huge problem for the landlord, who will also keep her security deposit.
andi

Postby amaury » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:24 am

Your sister in law lied on her rental application. A pit bull is NOT a terrier, and your sister in law knows that. That lie is why she is being told she must leave the premises. No, she does not get any pro-rated rent back. She was given 30 days to leave, and your sister in law chose to leave before that time frame has expired. She owes rent for those 30 days.
amaury

Return to Home Insurance