Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Question about Disability Insurance - Moving from one state to another?

Disability Insurance News & Discussion

Postby laochailan7 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:06 am

If you worked in California, and started your disability insurance here, and you moved to another state in the mean time, will you lose your benefits? What do you need to do? Can you put the address of the other state for them to send you checks? or do you have to stay in California to earn your disability benefits?

Also, on the application it asks for both a home phone, and a cell phone, because of the move, we will lose our current home phone number, can I just put my cell phone number until we get another home phone in the other state?
laochailan7

Postby hania82 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:12 am

First of all, disability benefits are not 'earned'. Second, they don't last forever, either.

But I think if you move out of state, you won't be being under the supervision of a CA doctor, and you won't be available for an IME upon request of the state - and that will disqualify you from continuing benefits.
hania82

Postby yagil » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:20 am

There are 6 states with state sponsored short term disability. California is one of the states. To receive this money you have to have been at employee in California at the time you became temporarily disabled. Yes, in general, you have to remain in California to continue receiving SDI since it is a state sponsored program (not federal program).
yagil

Postby aston81 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:34 am

you need to update your info with SS
aston81

Return to Disability Insurance