Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Problems Finding A Homeowners Insurance?

Home & Contents Insurance Discussion

Postby Ximun » Tue May 16, 2017 12:21 am

About a year ago I had an incident with my dog biting a mailman.

My homeowners insurance company decided to settle but this year they are cancelling my policy.

I've searched the internet but it looks like no insurance company in the state of New Jersey wants me anymore.

I have several questions:

1 Do you know of any insurance company that would take me?

2 Is there a "stature of limitations" on the incidents like that? I've heard something of 3 years, but that needs to be verified. If there is such thing, do I count from the day of the incident or from the day of the settlement?

3 Is there a way to buy insurance that would cover a liability and exclude dog bites? (I can buy one without any liability, but that probably not a good idea)

4 Is finding another home for my dog would help me?
Ximun

Postby Fritz » Tue May 16, 2017 4:10 am

Foremost will cover you with liability and will exclude dog as long as the dog in question is no longer at your place of residence. As long as you have that same dog nobody will touch you with a 10 foot pole. You can expect the cost to be at least double what you previously paid.
Fritz

Postby Simao » Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Get rid of the dog. I've NEVER been able to save a policyholder with a dog bite claim who insists on keeping the dog. A larger deductible will not help in this situation because dog bite claims tend to be very costly and deductibles don't apply to liability cases.

Once you've given the dog to a family that can train it and keep it in their home or enclosure, you will be able to find coverage. For three years, the claim will be held against you from the date of the incident, with all companies. This will result in an increased premium.
Simao

Postby Etu » Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 pm

The reason why you can't find insurance is because you are searching the internet.
You are NOT going to find home insurance that way ESPECIALLY under your circumstances.
You need an independent insurance agent who HAS the resources to get insurance for you as they represent multiple insurance companies.
Go to the internet and search for an Independent Insurance Agent in your area.
Etu

Postby Eyton » Fri May 19, 2017 10:59 am

Do you still have the dog? If so, no one is going to take you.

The statute of limitations is about how long someone has to sue you - there's no time period, when having a dog that's bitten someone severely enough to have an insurance claim, doesn't count against you.

Foremost Insurance Company will write a homeowners policy (at probably double or triple your current price) with a dog bite exclusion on it - however - they will only give you that if you have a hazardous breed dog who has NOT YET bitten anyone.
They won't do that, if you've already got a dog bite history.
No one will, because most juries will tell the insurance company, "that exclusion is invalid, you already knew the dog bites, and you took the risk anyway".

So.
Get rid of the dog.
THEN you can go to Foremost, declare no dogs, you'll probably STILL need that exclusion, but at least you'll have liability coverage.
If you replace the dog later, it will void your coverage.
Sorry.
Eyton

Postby Jessey » Tue May 23, 2017 6:51 am

#2 - Date starts at the date of the incident.

#4- Finding another home for the dog is a bad idea.

First call your homeowners insurance agent and ask them to speak with their underwriter and ask if you raise your deductible to $5,000 if they will keep you.
Your insurance agent might be able to negotiate your staying with their company.
A lot of times a high deductible will keep your insurance where it is at because you would be responsible for the first $5000.
That would be your best option.

And, if your auto insurance is not with the homeowners insurance company tell them you will also bring your auto insurance to them too if they keep your business.
Basically you are telling them options that benefit both of you if they keep your business.
Ask your insurance agent to contact their underwriter.
Believe me, your homeowners insurance agent wants to keep your business and should fight for you.
They make commission on your business.

Last resort call the Department of Insurance in your state for help.
They may have some last resort insurance information.
Jessey

Return to Home Insurance