Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

So, Pretend You Are A Member Of The Opposite Sex Living In Medieval Times?

Term Life Insurance & Whole Life Insurance Discussion

Postby Flemming » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:07 am

and there is a call for men to join the army, go off to some foreign country they have never even heard of before and die by the thousands for a cause that is not their own. And the women are not subjected to this but have no choice in what direction their life takes, be it choosing a husband of her own or what occupation she wants to pursue. Who in your opinion has it worse?

Were the women privileged for not having to suffer death or crippling injury in some organized act of mass slaughter? Or the men privileged for having such a grand opportunity to see the world, no matter the dangers they faced?
Flemming

Postby Brittain » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:39 pm

And this belongs in the Religion section because????
Brittain

Postby culloden » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 am

I would certainly say the men, but not out of some pre-set bias for the fact I'm male.

I would say historically, women have been placed first despite the gender discrimination that have unfortunately and disgustingly suffered which I would never defend. The most successful societies now are those in which women enjoy egalitarian rights, thankfully. However historically these former gender roles has been linked into our evolutionary traits that are disseminated throughout our culture and previous cultures, however. Biologically, women have come first and culturally there has been a need to protect women historically - which is epitomized in the modern thinking that if a ship is sinking, you reserve the lifeboat seats for women, even if men might be more deserving in some cases - women, even in our pre-history, have been a biological insurance against the numerous disasters that have effected humanity through its history, a single man can sow his seed so to say across a multitude of women, but it takes a woman for birth and continue civilization, they are the limiting factor, this is often seen historically in the ancient pre-historic tribes of the Levant, those that often placed women central were oft the most successful given their biological need. Honestly, if I was on a battlefield, I would rather be a woman who was objectified as perhaps not having direction, opposed to a male who was often militarily drafted to serve a disposable purpose, a male whose purpose have to be proved socially, whereas a woman's to have purpose merely has to exist when taken in the grande scheme of things.

Whereas males have been placed dead last socially in every historic culture bar the Amazonian warriors which excluded men. Males have always been seen as more disposable, this is evidential in the massive gender death gap in the workplace and lack of action during male death reporting, yet women die doing the same jobs and safety regulations are often ushered in under public outcry. Or the absolving of women's crimes more often in courts of laws. It isn't so much hypocrisy, but a dynamic I feel humanity as always had - but is no longer needed given the massive population and inter-connectivity of the planets population.
culloden

Postby Jonathon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:20 pm

and there is a call for men to join the army, go off to some foreign country they have never even heard of before and die by the thousands for a cause that is not their own. And the women are not subjected to this but have no choice in what direction their life takes, be it choosing a husband of her own or what occupation she wants to pursue. Who in your opinion has it worse?

Were the women privileged for not having to suffer death or crippling injury in some organized act of mass slaughter? Or the men privileged for having such a grand opportunity to see the world, no matter the dangers they faced?
Jonathon

Postby Dany » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:48 pm

I consider they both had it bad in different approaches, it will depend on the difficulty. If it used to be a married lady with no youngsters her husband gets it worse. He's the one who faces everyday slaughter, and witnesses it after which has to face killing others himself to survive. Though a woman would have it hard, most likely she would need to flip to prostitution and stealing to survive. This wasn't just the medieval occasions either, women whose husbands have been infantrymen within the Crimean conflict (for instance) would be viewed very fortunate to be taken abroad with him and allowed as a camp follower. She would be in charge for repairing and washing the other guys's clothes. If he died she would flip to prostitution, stealing or marrying the following man she would right away (because the women left at the back of of their dwelling country would in general have to). When you carry kids into the equation I suppose things even up somewhat. The lady would most likely face rape, prostitution, stealing and any punishment fitting the crimes if caught. With kids in tow, and ravenous ones at that the worry would only be worse. They without doubt would die from starvation and malnutrition amongst other diseases. The girl probably fortunate adequate to search out work as a washer lady or to be taken in through their parish who were obliged to look after the quite terrible except that law was later abolished in favour for bad houses or work houses.
Dany

Postby Hokee » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:10 am

Most women were raped senseless if their husbands failed in their "cause."
Hokee

Postby Ailill » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:54 am

I think life for the average peasant was likely hell and they didn't view their circumstances in a romantic way. Men and boys were pressed into service, the women were pressed into trying to keep the rest of the family alive. If you lived to see forty you were an elder.
Ailill

Postby Ann » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:43 am

being a christian i would ignore that call - matthew 5.39,44 / matthew 7.3-5

and try to mind my own business - exodus 20.17
Ann

Return to Life Insurance