Welcome to InsuranceForums.info!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links

Affordable Pet Insurance
Travel Insurance Comparison

Please Help :) I Am Looking To Move Into Studio Flat In Surrey, I Need Help Figuring Out Home Bill Estimates?

General Insurance discussions and general chat

Please Help :) I Am Looking To Move Into Studio Flat In Surrey, I Need Help Figuring Out Home Bill Estimates?

Postby Burlin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 am

Hi there thank you for clicking on this question, and also thank you in advance for your help.

Here is my situation:
I am a full time student, 18 years old, male, in the second year of my college (in UK) and I have just finished, however I don't think I've made the grades I need to get into university. So my only alternative is to find a job, and move out of my parents house. And I would like your help to figure out what kind of yearly/monthly salary would be (at the very least) sufficient enough for me to pay flat bills, and also buy groceries - please take note I'll be living on my own. I've already looked into a few studio flats in the Surrey region, and the cheapest prices I found were, 400 pounds per month for rent flats.

So my question to you is this how much do utility bills cost in small living areas like flats:
1. So electricity, would you give me an average? and remember its only for one person.
2. Gas - an average?
3. Water
4. Heating? etc.
5. Council Tax
6. And finally can you please give me your personal experience of what its like to move out of your parents home and try to live independently?
Thanks
Burlin

Postby Benet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Some of the biggest advances are happening in developing countries, where mobile banking is leapfrogging traditional banking to bring services to millions of unbanked customers. In developed countries, mobile banking presents profound disruption to the bank business model, but also offers broad potential as a channel for new?and existing?products and services, most notably through the leveraging of Big Data.
Benet

Postby Gamaliel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:42 am

Pick some place and call the utility companies to find out what the previous guy paid for the last year.
The utility companies usually will tell you.
While this will not be your habits, it is close enough.

Electricity is in every room, so being just one person in a site doesn't really make any difference.

You will find yourself being very short on money.
So eating becomes a problem.
I used soup and spaghetti.
A friend used salmon for their staple.

So that means you must take your bedroom outfit from your parent's house if you can.
Anything such as household goods should also go with you or you have to spend money to buy them.
Try a charity for household items that will be cheap.
Clothes can be bought at any charity for a while.
Gamaliel

Postby Cowyn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:05 am

I am working on figures of 1000 a month including rent; in other words, 400 rent, then 600 bills as I write such the mirror. But I have listed below some approximates; I am basically living in the dark and you should be aware of this; I don't use a computer, I use library computer, I have 30second showers; I don't shop at big supermarkets etc; I have to thrift and find grandma's coat etc.
Low earners get compassion from the government until they/we/I fix the mind capacity.
1. Basically 10 a month.
2. Gas basically 10 a month.
3. Water basically 10 a month.
4. Heating basically 10 a month.
5. It's 1200 per year here, but as I am stupid I get discount.
6. It's rubbish really, I'd rather shoot myself in a CIA gun room; I still haven't found work. I am still under pressure with bills and every now and then I lose all hope because I either am not good enough, or will never be good enough; never forgiven enough, or never taught enough.
Have a nice time.
Cowyn

Postby Deker » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:01 am

Where in Surrey? Property prices in the county can vary hugely; location makes a massive difference.
Gas and electricity will be around £20/£25 each a month
Water will be around £30 a month
Council tax - around £100 (depends on property value; so location again)
You'll also need to factor in TV license (£12.50/m); contents insurance; phone; Internet; transport costs (either running a car or public transport); food and shopping; going out; clothes; emergencies etc
Then (if you don't get a furnished flat) you'll need furniture. Not to mention sheets, bedding, towels, pots, pans, plates and everything else. Websites like Freegle can be really useful for setting up a home
To rent, you'll need savings - you'll be charged a deposit and first months rent up front, and there's often fees (from the lettings agency). You should aim to spend no more than 1/3 of your income on rent.
Deker

Return to General Insurance Questions